· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Electric Blue Jack Dempsey?

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a beautiful fish in my favorite store, and was told it was an electric blue (or neon blue as I've also seen it referred to) Jack Dempsey. Now, I want one; naturally. I was told it stays smaller than the norm at around five inches but have also been told it reaches around 10 inches. I was also told it doesn't get as aggressive as the norm. Can anyone confirm or touch up on this info? I know I can't just throw in with any fish or tank for that matter. I know there's google, but I keep finding things about natural habitat, and I wan't to know about tank setup.

Awards Showcase

Have a martini on me fellow western marylander - jbeining75 thank you so much my puffer and i are very happy - Angila Heres one! :D - Wild Turkey nice plecos - KingFisher For all your advice  thanks - Celtic Fins 
    for your kind comments. - Celtic Fins Merry Christmas - Northernguy Awesome help with my loaches - R2 Ranch Seasons Greetings. Have a great Christmas - Celtic Fins Wishing You A Happy New Year!!! - Jill 
    Happy New year - Celtic Fins May the Anti troll force be with you. - Celtic Fins 2001 posts! - Northernguy For your helpful fry advice - Cliff Its not a featherfin but thanks for the info!lol - Northernguy 
    Merry Christmas!!!!  :) - Ellen4God 

1 Not allowed!
    Not sure about the max size, but they are (somewhat) less aggressive than the regular breed. However, they are still a cichlid, and may not play well with other cichlids. They also tend to die for no apparent reason, most likely some genetic defect, before reaching maturity. Some do make it in the long run, but most likely 5" is the max size most will live to. Tank setup would be the same as for any good-size CA or SA cichlid. High turnover rate (10x tank volume/hour) on the filtration, and don't fall in love with your aquascaping because it will probably get rearranged by the fish. Live plants are usually eaten, large rocks should rest on the bottom of the tank, not the substrate. They don't require much cover, not a particularly shy fish.

^^^^Please click the eggs/dragons, thanks.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Yup, ditto the above. Mine was less aggressive than regular Jacks, but ONLY compared to regular Jacks - they are still an aggressive fish. You should stock around them same as you would a regular Jack.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll third on this one; amazing looking fish with some genetic issues but they are still jacks at heart even if they may be a bit more timid.
    Long time fish keeper most experience with CA/SA cichlids, natives like sunfish, and aggressive catfish.
    Currently have a 29g planted with 14 candy cane tetras, 6 sterbai corys, 6 melini corys, a roided out tiger angelfish and 1 mustache wearing albino longfin pleco.
    Oh and they all get along amazingly!!! went through 4 BN plecos and 2 angelfish until I got ones with the right temperament but it's the most mellow tank now.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll add my 2 cents. I purchased a 1 1/2 inch ebjd a year ago in Sept. Now he's a strapping 5 inches. I babied him something awful as I grew him out. I kept him in a 30 gallon with some tetras so I could monitor what he ate as I understand that getting them to the 3 inch mark is difficult because, as someone said, of a digestive issue. He was a finicky eater for some time so I tried everything to get him to eat. Once he started eating blood worms, he started on live shrimp, then started hoarding algae wafers and now he eats everything with gusto. He loves cichlid pellets, flake food and shrimp pellets as well.
    He currently resides in a 90 with a gold sev, 3 blood parrots, a geo and some congos. I have seen little aggression - in fact, one of the BP's is the tank boss and she just loves pushing him out of where she thinks he shouldn't be.. I have 2 crocks with multiple openings and he sleeps in either one or the other. The tank has a huge piece of leggy driftwood and lots of rock formations so there are a lot of 'line of sight' barriers which helps with over all aggression. The tank has no plants in the substrate but I've tucked Anubis, java fern, hornwort and anacharis in every nook and cranny and he pretty much leaves it alone.
    I've never seen him try to take on a fish but he's not fully mature yet so that could change. He's a gorgeous fish - a real show stopper - and I enjoy him immensely. I think you should give it a go if you can get a proper set up.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    I have owned one about 3 months now. I have had JD's in the past but this is my first EBJD. Does well with its geophagus school - looking to put some congo tetra in the tank in the future. Eats well, great color, mine is 4.5 inches and growing bulk fast.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's