0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Groovy Jeff View Post
    UNREAL!! Just got done testing it:
    pH=7.6
    high pH= 8.2
    nitrates=20
    NITRITES=5.0
    temp 78

WTH is going on???? I tested our tap wate; 0 nitrites. I'll do some more water changes and report back....
    This is the 55 gal with 4 goldfish...

2 Not allowed!
    My hypothesis is that you don't have enough filtration on the tank, so you haven't grown enough bacteria (for lack of room on your media) to handle the severe bioload if four goldfish. That's why nitrites are spiking out if control.

This is a theory, let's wait and see if anyone else thinks that could be part of it.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

3 Not allowed!
    You need to keep doing large PWCs and let the bacteria play catch up to the bio load.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

1 Not allowed!
    FINALLY!!!! After a kazillion water changes we are at Nitrites = 0.5 and Nitrates = 40. I have added a few plants, so we shall see.

Awards Showcase

Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus 
    Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 
    Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 
    T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    Good deal, keep at it, you'll get there
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

1 Not allowed!
    Sweet! I love to see this starting to pay off for you. Hang in there, you're close.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Now we are at 0 ammonia, 0.25 nitrites, and 40 nitrates; moving right along! I put some plants in the tank to absorb some nitrates and the little jerks keep uprooting them. Anyone have experience with aquatic onion plant? It has a bulb that I can wedge in with some rocks.

8. Default

1 Not allowed!
    try floating some hortwort. it eats nitrates
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

1 Not allowed!
    Yes, floating plants are best here, as they are fast growing and thus take up a lot of ammonia. And by the way Jeff, plants do not use nitrates, they use ammonia/ammonium. The nitrates will lower with plants because less ammonia gets to nitrite to nitrate. Plants only use nitrate when ammonia/ammonium is lacking.

Byron.