· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillianne View Post
    I suppose its possible if you have issues with a septic or fertilizer (think farm or lawn) run off contamination issues... but if its above 1.0ppm that's above what the EPA has set for max contamination and I'd be in touch with whomever is responsible for your water. (link to EPA guidelines on Nitrites in tap water here)
    Whoops! I was just scanning before. Sorry I totally just repeated exactly what you already said.

Running to work, will address the other post when I get there haha.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    I live outside of Surprise AZ in the desert; no fertilizer here. This is horse country, but it is sparse and there isn't non-stop ammonia producing stock. I am on a shared well with 88 people. Tested it with the same strips I have been using and 0 nitrates/nitrites.

0 Not allowed!
    "Am I going in the right direction??"

Yes!

"Also, some of you have mentioned the cannister filters; here are my questions:
    1) Inside or outside the 55 gal tank?"
    The cannister filter will sit outside of the aquarium (usually underneath inside the stand) with tubes for the intake and outtake that extend up into the aquarium.

"2) How noisy are they, (both tanks are in the living room)??"
    I can't speak to every filter, but I have a large Eheim 2028 on my 90 gallon tank and I literally have to open the door of my stand and put my head down right next to the filter to even hear a humming noise. Even with that it's quiet.

"3) Am I ready for such a beast, or stick with hang on filters for now?"
    I used to be all about the HOB filters, but since getting a cannister, I'll never have a tank without one again. I personally think they are easier to maintain than the hobs. Easy to take apart and easy to pick up and move to the bathroom for cleaning and rinsing.
    ~Manna

0 Not allowed!
    My advice weouldc be to get a good canister and forget hang on back filters, for any tank 4 feet in length and up. I have used both for many years (HOB previously, now strictly canister). There is no need for two filters if the canister is rated to the tank size, and even if the fish demand more water flow, get a larger canister. One filter is sufficient for any aquarium that is balanced. And especially as you intend plants.

My two Eheim Professionel 2 canisters have been in operation continually since 1996 and 1998 respectively and never a problem. I also have a Rena XP3 on another tank, which is a good filter, though it may not have the lifespan of the Eheim.

BTW, on the snails, don't worry about these; they are your best friend in the aquarium. I have hundreds, fortunately, in my tanks.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-11-2013 at 06:25 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Still at 0 nitrates and nitrites of 3.0. Another water change later.... API Master Kit is suppose to be here today.

1 Not allowed!
    Tested the nitrites last night with my handy brand new test kit. It was 1.0 and I did a 20 gal water change. I'll retest everything later today. Finally making progress!!

Awards Showcase

Because bunnies are good in threes. - KevinVA Oh Oh... they're multiplying!!! - fishmommie Back atcha! - KevinVA Back at you,  good sir! - Compass I'm glad somebody's keeping this "old tradition" alive :) - steeler58 
    Here's to the 4th and nose hair fiascos! - Taurus got otos - cm12setx otos -- yay - RiversGirl Oto - SeaLady Heres to getting the fish we like and the 4th of July wich was nice enough to be on a friday! - steeler58 
    Using some of my winnings on friends and you probably could use some coffee :) - steeler58 So very sorry :( - steeler58 TGIF! May the good Lord be with you and your family Matt. - Taurus Have a cyber-miller and forget about "trolls" first person I saw that did not like you, LOL!! - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

1 Not allowed!
    You will like that kit, much more accurate than strips, and it will last for many, many water tests
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

2 Not allowed!
    I'm really excited to see that your Nitrites are not as high as we thought. With 1.0 PPM Nitrite you'll want to do a 75% water change and then retest an hour later.

Let me know what the liquid kit has to say about your nitrates. When you run that test shake the second bottle like your life depends on it. Just when you think you've shook it enough, shake it more vigorously for an extra 20 seconds to ensure accuracy of the test.
    ~Manna

1 Not allowed!
    Not going to add more to all the advices you've received but:

Glad you're taking it seriously and taking advices from members of the forum.

Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    UNREAL!! Just got done testing it:
    pH=7.6
    high pH= 8.2
    nitrates=20
    NITRITES=5.0
    temp 78

WTH is going on???? I tested our tap wate; 0 nitrites. I'll do some more water changes and report back....