· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 46 Gallon Bowfront

0 Not allowed!
    Hey there! Thought I would start a journal for my very first aquarium, a 46 gallon bowfront. I came across a great deal on the tank, stand, Aquaclear 110 power filter, and a bunch of decorations and random accessories, so I just went for it :-)

After starting to research, I decided that I was going to do a fishless cycle. I got my 50 pounds of gravel, decorations, and water in the tank, and set up my filter and heater. I filled my tank with 100% RO water because my tap water is extremely hard (to the point of having calcium particles visibly floating in the water), has a pH of over 8, and contains both ammonia and nitrates. I dosed the water with API Tap Water Conditioner (just to be safe), and Seachem Replenish to replace the minerals and buffers that are not present in the RO water. I set the temp to 84, turned my filter up to high and hooked up my air pump to a bubbler (one of my decorations has an airstone on it and I like the look of the bubbles coming from it, so I figured a little extra aeration couldn't hurt). Dosed my tank to 4 ppm ammonia using Ace Brand Janitorial Ammonia using my handy dandy API Freshwater Master Test Kit (little did I know how well aquainted I was going to get with that kit...), and let the tank sit for 3 days before testing again. When I finally tested, my ammonia showed 2 ppm. I thought this was awesome, because it meant bacteria were eating the ammonia! Yay! (I now think that maybe I hadn't given the tank enough time to circulate the ammonia the first day.) Unfortunately there were no nitrites or nitrates, and the ammonia level didn't drop past 1.5 for over 2 weeks, at which point I seeded the tank with lava rocks, filter floss, and, (when neither of those had any effect) sponge filter mud from established tanks and re-dosed the tank to 4 ppm ammonia. It finally started showing a little progress following the addition of the sponge filter mud, with the ammonia visibly dropping. However nitrites still hadn't shown up! On a whim, having read other threads where people had missed a nitrite spike when they seeded their tank, I tested for nitrates when my ammonia had dropped to around 2 ppm. AND THERE THEY WERE! I had around 5 ppm nitrates! That was 6 days ago, and my ammonia has been steadily dropping and nitrates are rising.

Here we are, 6 weeks after I started my fishless cycle, and my tank is still sitting there empty, but at least now it is showing visible progress. When I tested my tank tonight, my ammonia was down to between 0 and 0.25 and my nitrates were up to between 20 and 40 ppm (closer to 40 ppm). Hoping the ammonia drops to 0 tomorrow so I can re-dose it up to 2 and see how long it takes for that to disappear. With any luck (which I haven't had much of so far -_-) I will be doing a large water change and shopping for the first set of my stocking list soon!

My planned stocking list is 1 angelfish, 4 African dwarf frogs (which I will be keeping a close eye on to make sure they can make it to the surface, if they seem to have ANY trouble at all, I will be moving them to a spare tank I have on hand-I have both a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon on hand; they'd pry get the 20 gallon haha), 3 sunset platies, 3 blue platies, 3 dalmation mollies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras, and 1 German Blue Ram (which will be added in a few months when the tank is well established).
    Last edited by phin9009; 09-09-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is decorated with 50 pounds of gravel, an awesome ship wreck, a scuba diver (both of those bubble), and some fake plants (didn't feel confident enough to do a planted tank right away-maybe in the future!). Standard full spectrum light.
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    In my filter, I have the aquaclear foam insert, 2 bags of biomax media, some lava rocks from a lfs, and tons of filter floss. I am currently toying with the idea of getting a sponge filter to run in the tank as well, mostly to have a cycled filter to put in a tank as needed, whether that's a QT tank (sterilizing after the QT of course) or to seed my next tank (because multiple tank syndrome is already starting)

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Fingers crossed; I tested ammonia and it was 0 tonight! Nitrites were also 0, nitrates were somewhere between 20 & 40 ppm. Re-dosed the tank with ammonia to 2 ppm, and hoping it's gone tomorrow night!!

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Good luck on the cycle, I answered your question in your other thread. How about some pictures of your tank for this journal?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I will post some pictures tonight (and of course when I finally get fish in there!)

Tank is on track to be 0ppm ammonia after 24 hours :-) tested 1ppm 12 hours after redosing it to 2ppm

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Aaaannnnndddd: It's CYCLED!!!!! 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrItes, and around 30ppm nitrAtes 24 hours after dosing the tank :-D It's taken 6 1/2 weeks from start to finish, but it is worth the wait knowing my tank is going to be a safe place for my fish.

Performed a pwc to drop nitrAtes below 20ppm and adjusted the temperature down from 84 to around 76 so I can get fish. Will test the tank in the morning to make sure nothing funny happens, make sure the temp has actually gone down, then will be getting fish tomorrow after work :-D

Here is a picture of my decorated tank before fish:2013-08-06 15.57.20.jpg

I will post pics once my fish have been introduced to the tank (going to drip acclimate them)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have fish! I have 3 sunset Mickey mouse platies, 3 dalmatian mollies, 1 blue Mickey mouse platy (getting 2 more tomorrow-store only had 1), 4 harlequin rasboras (also getting more tomorrow), 5 cherry barbs(also getting more tomorrow). All have been drip acclimated and introduced to the tank and are having fun exploring

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 
    You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz 
    for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook 
    beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the cycled tank and fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Congratulations on the cycled tank and fish.
    Thanks! The fish all seem happy, exploring the tank and showed major interest in food (coming up to my fingers when I took out some water for testing to make sure nothing funny happened after I put them in)

The harleys and the barbs already swim around in their little shoals(soon to be larger shoals haha). The platies and mollies are entertaining to watch