· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Another stocking thread.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm planning on getting that 55 gallon tank I've been wanting for a while soon, and I have a few questions about stocking.

So I was originally planning on getting an angelfish but after weeks of research, I've found that they are apparently very difficult to care for. With me being still fairly new to this, I found that it would be better for me and for the fish to not get it. (As much as I hate to do so.) So I've come up with a new stocking list, that I think might work and I wanted to know your opinions.

- 12 Cardinal Tetras (dat schooling)
    - 3 Dwarf Gouramis (dat threesome)
    - 5 Odessa Barbs (dem colors)
    - 3 Siamese Algae Eaters (dat cleaning)
    - 1 Bristlenose Pleco (dat more cleaning.)

Now, according to AqAdvisor, this puts me at 95% stocking. However; if I switch my my tank size from 55gallon to a 40 gallon breeder, it's only at 86%. Assuming that 95% is just some horribly innacurate mistake that was made, I still have a lot of space left. (yay!)

However, I'm really just looking for either a single fish or a pair of fish to take that "centerpiece" role in the tank. I've looked through a ton of threads where most of the suggestions are either Bolivian Rams (which I'm not a total fan of) or Apistogrammas (which I'm not really sure where to find.) So I wanted to know if there were any other suggestions you guys had for a centerpiece fish...

Another question:
    I'm mostly liking the Odessa Barbs because of how the male looks, not so much a fan of the female. Would it be a problem to just get 5 males? Or would this cause some fighting....

Planning on ordering most of my fishes from here:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/g...ral_pagesid=23

Thanks guys. I'm open to suggestions!

2 Not allowed!
    Dwarf gouramis may be troublesome - they are grumpy and may/will fight so they'll need careful monitoring.

Five barbs isn't much - I would up this to at least eight.

Don't get SAEs, they won't do what you are expecting them to do.

You do "dat" cleaning - not the fish.

How about a school of panda corydoras catfish?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    You will have more colouration on the barbs if there is a group of male/female. Eight (4/4) as firefly suggested is good. However, this is a very active fish, swimming everywhere though it tends to remain mid-tank in the water column. Sedate fish like angels, gourami, ram cichlids may not appreciate this.

I agree with firefly, forget the SAE. For one thing, you could only have one in your tank, as they get to 6 inches and can be territorial. Plus, they don't do the "cleaning" anyway; they do eat brush algae, but given their size and behaviours I would not get them just for this.

Dwarf gourami are not an easy fish, due to health issues. The Honey Gourami would be a better species, with sedate tankmates. But as this is a 55g, you could consider Pearl Gourami, 1 male and 2 females would be nice. With lots of plants, two males and 4 females might work, but male gourami are territorial and one never knows.

You also have the space for angelfish, a group of 5 though, as this is a shoaling fish. However, any pairs that form can make life for the rest of the tank very uncomfortable and often have to be removed. And they can eat small fish.

Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Firefly's suggestions.
    And I'm not sure that you should be afraid of angels. If you worm them right away, keep your tank clean and feed them a good diet, there's no reason why you can't successfully keep one. Just make certain you don't have any fin nippers in the tank or any fish small enough for the angel to eat :o)
    Most people lose fish because 1) they don't cycle their tanks, 2) they don't keep their tanks clean, 3) they over feed, 4) they purchase poor stock, 5) they don't place compatible fish together, 6) they overstock, 7) they let water quality issues go unchecked.
    You seem to have done your homework and appear very contentious. I think your chances are good with an angel. I've had mine for over a year and she's going strong. Mandy K set up a 120 gal with 7 or so angels and had never had them before and they are doing great.
    And while Byron is correct, angels are a shoaling fish, single angels do fine in a well maintained tank.
    His suggestion of Gouramis is also a good one.
    Last edited by fishmommie; 09-08-2013 at 08:21 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    ALRIGHT, thanks so much for your guys input. So how about, scratch the gourami and Siamese. this will allow me to an angel. So now we have,
    12 cardinal tetras
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 Angel fish
    8 odessa barbs.

Will the Angel eat the cardinals?
    Are the barbs considered aggressive and will they nip at the Angel?

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Maybe on the cardinals
    Probably on the barbs nipping at the angel :o(
    sorry. I was thinking roseline sharks when you said odessa barbs. don't ask my why ....
    The odessa barbs are going to nip at the fins of any slow moving fish - a gourami might also be at risk.
    Cherry barbs are about the only barbs I know of that aren't nippy.

Just when you thought had a handle on it .... the handle comes loose, right?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by FishGarb View Post
    ALRIGHT, thanks so much for your guys input. So how about, scratch the gourami and Siamese. this will allow me to an angel. So now we have,
    12 cardinal tetras
    1 bristlenose pleco
    1 Angel fish
    8 odessa barbs.

Will the Angel eat the cardinals?
    Are the barbs considered aggressive and will they nip at the Angel?
    FG, if you get bigger Cardianals and a smaller Angel this will not be a problem, as FM pointed out the Oddesa barbs could nip the angels fins. I would suggest looking into Five banded barbs as substitution, they border on the shy side and are not "nippers".
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I don't recommend any barb or danio with sedate fish like gourami and angels, as a matter of course. The activity level of barbs and danio can unsettle sedate fish. They are more likely to nip at sedate fish, just because the temptation is there. And even if this never gets physical, it is there chemically in the pheromones and allemones the various fish are always releasing and which other fish read.

I do agree that if the angel is small at first, it may grow up to tolerate linear fish. But keep in mind that the angelfish is naturally disposed to eat linear fish. Which is why tankmates for angelfish are best from the "disk" shaped characins like the Rosy clade and others.

Byron.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    alright. I have decided just to drop the idea of angels again. with the risk there for the cardinals and my new found love of Odessa barbs and how they swim, I'm not willing to give either of them up. I've seen a bunch of videos on how a pack of Odessa barbs make the tornado thing as they swim around the tank. I figure this is good enough to be a " centerpiece" for the tank itself. I'll end up getting some corys ( any recommendations on which type, I'd prefer the more active ones) just because I've never had them before and it's nice to have more bottom dwellers. I'll probably also end up bumping up my cardinals school. HOW DOES THIS SOUND?

0 Not allowed!
    Green corys are very active - I have some in my tank and they are always digging around - interesting to watch.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in