· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Reverse osmosis system

0 Not allowed!
    After losing 6 out of 11 of my crystal red shrimp, I suspect from using tap water, I am thinking of purchasing a 4 stage RO system with Di and then using something like mosura mineral plus ultra to remineralize the water and hopefully through slow acclimatization, avoid any future deaths.
    I do have a few questions though and it would be much appreciated if somebody can answer them.
    1- I will be using the outside garden tap,is this suitable?
    2- If it is suitable I wont be able to make it a permanent fixture on the wall attached to the tap. So the plan would be to use it to fill up the container for the water change, then disconnet the RO unit and place it inside my house. I have read tat you cannot let the RO unit dry out after the first use, is this true? It so I would connect it up to outside tap then run it fora tew minutes everyday, is that acceptable?
    3- where I live the temperature can drop to - 15c during the winter but the outside tap still runs so would the unit still work but the efficiency drastically reduced?

thanks for your time
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank (under construction)
    • 15 gallon: 8 CBS/CRS, 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden123 View Post
    1- I will be using the outside garden tap,is this suitable?
    It can be, provided it is the same water supply as your drinking water inside the house. You can also hook it up to your kitchen sink using a adaptor very similar to a phython water changer. Link below to what I am talking about
    http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/chrome...ter-valve.html

2- If it is suitable I wont be able to make it a permanent fixture on the wall attached to the tap. So the plan would be to use it to fill up the container for the water change, then disconnet the RO unit and place it inside my house. I have read tat you cannot let the RO unit dry out after the first use, is this true? It so I would connect it up to outside tap then run it fora tew minutes everyday, is that acceptable?
    You can not let the filters dry out once they have been used. You can aviod this by adding three valves to the set-up, one on the waste water line, one on the clean water line, and a third on the supply water line. If you close those valve in that order, you will keep the system filled with water and no trapped air.

3- where I live the temperature can drop to - 15c during the winter but the outside tap still runs so would the unit still work but the efficiency drastically reduced?
    They are not meant to be used in freezing cold weather. As RO units are not insulted, you will start to get ice build up in the unit at -15C. Best to get the kitchen sink adaptor and use it indoors within the indented temperature range.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the detailed answer Cliff. The outisde water is not the same as the inside water, it has lower TDS (140) and has no ammonia in it where as inside water is 220 TDS and reads 0.25 for ammonia.

http://www.ro-world.co.uk/acatalog/4...l#.UiyphNLryZ4

That is the unit I'm currently interested in and researching for.

As long as it removes the ammonia and I can find the appropriate tap connector, using the unit inside would not be much of a problem.

Thanks again.
    • 15 gallon: 8 CBS/CRS, 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Will a RO unit with DI definitely remove the ammonia from my tap water?

0 Not allowed!
    Your RO membrane should remove it. I used a RO unit for my reef tanks without a DI filter for a year or so and I was getting about 2 TDS from it. The DI filter will catch all the other elements that get past your RO membrane. As long as you are changing your filters when needed, it should remove all ammonia from the water.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, thanks again Cliff :)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive sorted the water source for the unit, just need to choose one. Just wondering, whats the difference between an ultra pure ro unit and a ro unit with di?

0 Not allowed!
    Most likely, just the DI cartridge. A DI cartridge will catch what gets past the RO membrain

Just a guess on my part. You will have to carefully read the product specs to make sure tho

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I curious as I found a cheap site and both versions are the same price but an upgrade from 36g ro with di to 50g is free but the ultra pure version is not.

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/4...m-with-DI.html
    Thats the ro with di

http://www.osmotics.co.uk/products/U...RO-System.html
    And thats the ultra pure version

From the pictures the main difference I can see is that with the regular version the di bit is after the ro membrane whereas the ultra pure version has it before the membrane.
    Would this cause anything to be different? May be having di part before membrane makes the membrane last longer? I hve no idea.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also it looks like the di part on the ultra pure is larger than regular one?