· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    There's a small fish store in town that deals mostly with distributors and ordering fish for doctor's offices, fancy restaurants with aquariums, etc.. I know they have Seachem products and they told me if I needed anything, to just ask and they would order. His markup beats the heck out of direct shipping fee's so I'll go that route. :)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Before you spend $$ on any water conditioner, you should check out your water utility company's web site or call them and find out what is in your water.
    http://www.ci.yuma.az.us/Documents/C...lityReport.pdf
    A quick google search could return any result with chloramine for your city. It seems the city uses chlorine (but call them), which evaporates rather quickly. Letting sit the water overnight will do it. The less synthetic chemicals you can use, the better.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks very much for your effort. I live outside of Yuma in a suburb called Fortuna Foothills. Our Water company is called Far West Water. I'll try to do a search and see what I can find; probably not too much different.

Thanks again!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandflake View Post
    Based on the tap, the problem is definitely my tank and just not cycled correctly but the PH is on the extreme end and I'm not sure how that affects the fish, etc. I know some aquarists here just stick to Cichlids.
    You are doing a good thing asking questions here! Please be aware that many of us here don't "stick to cichlids" - we own many different kinds of fish (just look at the subforums) so you are bound to find someone here who can help you with just about anything you want to own.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much Imma:)

I just checked the water. Have not done a change since the weekend. I believe it has cycled!! Here are my results:

1. Nitrates: Maybe 20 though much lighter shade than 20 but definitely not 0
    2. Nitrites: 0
    3. PH: Not quite 8.0 (so getting lower). Not sure if this is good but assuming it is.
    4. KH: 180
    5. GH: 180

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Glad your seeing the end of the tunnel. A dead fish will often cause an ammonia spike and trigger a "mini cycle". Good catch on the algae bloom, this can be caused by having too many nutrients in the water, in your case I imagine it was all from the fish that you lost. As you said, the cycle looks to be complete, and doing water changes to keep nitrates under 20ppm should be your goal for maintenance.

Not sure about the changing pH, most fish prefer something fairly neutral though, so it isn't a bad thing. If your tank pH is much different from the tap water, you have to be careful about doing large water changes (although obviously in a crisis you may have to).

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good advice. I would only imagine the plants are lowering the PH, so will stick to small water changes for sure.

Thank you, Zerileous!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandflake View Post
    Good advice. I would only imagine the plants are lowering the PH, so will stick to small water changes for sure.

Thank you, Zerileous!
    Plants will not affect pH here, not with the high KH. Just so I know exactly what we're dealing with, what is the pH of the tap water and the pH of the tank water? Remember to out-gas the CO2 from the tap water before testing, by shaking vigorously for several minutes.

Byron.