· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default All over the place!

0 Not allowed!
    Am new to the hobby and trying to understand the "water chemistry" phenomenon. I live in Yuma, AZ and we have a-lot of minerals in our water.

Am 6-7 weeks into having a 20-gallon tank and after the first week, the "big-box" fish salesman told me that I should buy fish, so of course, I did just that.

The tank has had nine Rasbora's and they've all done very well. I've changed the water 25% a week but out of nowhere I got a huge algae bloom, was brown, now green. I scraped much of it off and did 25% water change earlier this week and a 30-40% today.

The Nitrates are now zero.

The Nitrites were 3 but are now 1 after big water exchange. I've been told that I'm luck the fish survived.

The PH is close to 9.0, was 8.0

The KH is 180 and the GH is 120.

I obviously don't have the best testing kits as Ammonia is absent from the chart/stick so I'll get the Master kit next time. I have the 5 in 1 :/

The fish are fine through all of this constant water exchanging so this is good.

I just checked the tap water, poured about 9 hours ago for another water exchange tomorrow and it tested as follows:

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite=0
    3. PH= 9.0
    4. KH=180
    5. GH=120

Based on the tap, the problem is definitely my tank and just not cycled correctly but the PH is on the extreme end and I'm not sure how that affects the fish, etc. I know some aquarists here just stick to Cichlids.

0 Not allowed!
    It will be better when you have the API test kit, the liquid, not test strips. The Master Combo has tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, plus pH.

You are indeed lucky the fish are still alive. Are there any live plants? These help, especially floating plants. If ammonia or nitrite [with the "i" not the "a"] are testing above zero, do daily partial water changes of half the tank. Nitrates we can leave for the present.

The GH at 120 is not at all bad, that's roughly 7 dGH which is fine for many fish including the rasbora. To the pH. Test the tap water by shaking a jar of fresh tap water briskly for several minutes; this out-gasses the CO2 and will give you a more accurate reading. With the GH where it is, I would not worry much, but it is good to know the number.

Byron.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Byron,

I did another partial change early this morning, and nine hours later:

1. Nitrate: 0
    2. Nitrite: 0.5 (yayy)

The fish are genuinely happy. So, I'll continue with the partial changes until we get to 0.

I have two plants, one is Caboomba Fanwort? The other was just called Hogwort. I planted them into the substrate. The Caboomba is doing especially well, the Hogwort is doing well on top but browning at the base...:/

Algae seems to be brought under control. What's left is not taking over the tank like a week ago.

Again, thanks for your help:)

Brandon

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Make that *Hornwort

0 Not allowed!
    If the plants, especially the Cabomba, are growing well, that will help a lot with the ammonia. The nitrite surprises me though...no idea what to suggest other than the water changes. What conditioner are you using?

The browning of the base of stem plants like Hornwort is usually due to insufficient light reaching them. As the Cabomba is fine, I would not mess over this. If it continues, you could let the Hornwort just float.

Don't forget the tap water pH test, shaking well; would like to see the number.

Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I shook until I could shake no more. Here are the results

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite=0
    3. PH=9.0
    4. KH=120
    5. GH=180.

I use Marineland Aquarium conditioner. It came with the tank.

I also forgot to mention, that I found a corpse that died on my second week, a small cherry barb. I looked everywhere for it and then found last week on the bottom of a plastic plant; somehow it had hinged itself in there. It had been in the tank for about five weeks, rotting away. I had thought (dumb me) that it would have just decomposed and gone away as it was so small.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandflake View Post
    I shook until I could shake no more. Here are the results

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite=0
    3. PH=9.0
    4. KH=120
    5. GH=180.

I use Marineland Aquarium conditioner. It came with the tank.

I also forgot to mention, that I found a corpse that died on my second week, a small cherry barb. I looked everywhere for it and then found last week on the bottom of a plastic plant; somehow it had hinged itself in there. It had been in the tank for about five weeks, rotting away. I had thought (dumb me) that it would have just decomposed and gone away as it was so small.
    On the MArineland Conditioner, the website says it "dechlorinates," but nothing else about chloramines, ammonia, etc. If you tap water only has chlorine added, this is fine. But if chloramines are added, this is not fine, and you need a conditioner that handles these.

Initially, when nitrite and nitrate may be high, a conditioner like Prime is a good idea. It detoxifies chlorine/chloramine, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once things are normal, you can use any conditioner that handles whatever is in your tap water.

Byron.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you very much Byron, for your time and research. I really appreciate it. I have not seen Prime in our 1 1/2 fish stores locally. So, I'll look for it online.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandflake View Post
    Thank you very much Byron, for your time and research. I really appreciate it. I have not seen Prime in our 1 1/2 fish stores locally. So, I'll look for it online.
    Prime is made by Seachem, and their products are fairly widely available. Another conditioer that does the same (except for nitrate which is not that relevant here) is one called Ultimate, made I beliee by Aquarium Solutions. B.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Was prepared to do another water change tonight but tested with the following results.

1. Nitrate=0
    2. Nitrite-0 0Yippee!!)
    3. PH=Looks like it could be closer to 8.5 than previous 9
    4. KH=180
    5. GH=180

Not sure why the increase on KH but with the Nitrates/Nitrites now at 0, I think I will let it ride then toward the end of the week and check again prior to weekly change.

Thanks again!