· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Melafix causing bio-filter bacterial death and subsequent recycle???

0 Not allowed!
    Hello, all. It's been a while. Hope everyone is well.

So, I have a 2.5 gal hospital tank currently containing 2 corys and 1 danio (the danio was completely homicidal, killed all his mates, and gets along with NO ONE but bottom dwellers...he serves soley as a "poop fish" to keep the cycle going in this tank.

The corys were thrown in about two weeks ago because my gourami in their 20gal nipped both of them. I have been treating them with melafix for two weeks and their fins are regrowing very quickly.

Thing is, during the first week...all water tests were perfect besides the normal trace amount of nitrates. Now, at the end of the second week, i have a tinge of ammonia <0.25, 0-trites, and 0-trates. I suspect the Melafix might have killed off my bacteria.

Anyone ever experience something like this while treating with it for longer than one week?

NOTE: I perform 90% water changes weekly on all my tanks.
    20gal: 18 neon tetra, ghost shrimp
    5.5gal: 5 glolight tetra
    5.5gal: royal blue/purple butterfly rose tail betta

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    when i had my TBs i treated the tank almost on a daily basis with home made melafix. even the store bought one didnt cause any harm to my bb. i think its possible theres another reason for the bb loss, possibly the water wasnt dechlorinated?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmmm...it was definitely dechlorinated with prime. the thing is that it's a really small tank with a small and presumably delicate load of bacteria.

how big was your tank that you treated for all that time and what was the filtration on it gallon wise?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger 1 View Post
    Have you tested your tap water for ammonia?
    good call but i know my tap water doesn't have it because i've tested it. also, all my other tanks read perfectly and i change my water on all four at the same time. so it's not like something changed in the tap water, ya know what i mean?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ &quot;genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol&quot;  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    29g, but HB has a valid point. even if its never had anything before its possible you have it in there now, or had it in there.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    I lean to the thought that you've just overstocked that tanks filtration capacity. Its a small tank and prolly doesn't have much of a filter, and it only had one fish to start and added two so you tripled the bioload. I think a week is about right for the ammonia to build up to the point where you could see it, considering the water changes you are doing...I think the BB just need to catch up to the current bioload.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    I think the BB just need to catch up to the current bioload.
    i think the same after considering my theories and the advice here. i am ruling out the sudden ammonia in the tap water theory. like i said, i do my water changes all at the same time. i highly doubt the water company is coming into my apartment and spiking one of my tanks to drive me crazy!

i'll go about this as a partial recycle and hopefully the melafix isn't rocking this small filter and killing my bacteria. probably will use some seachem stability to help build it up. so it can handle more than one fish when needed.

0 Not allowed!
    Melafix is an antibiotic, and thus can/may kill various bacteria. That is what is is used for, to kill the bacteria causing the problem. It is not going to differentiate between bacteria.

Of course, this may not always occur, as other factors are involved. But it is a possibility.

BTW, I would not keep any fish in a QT to keep it cycled. If fish are being quarantined to deal with some disease or condition, the last thing they need is more stress from another fish, especially one that is obviously stressed out itself.

Byron.