· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    I have to agree with above posts. Betta are so awfully bred. There's as little point in purchasing them as there is purchasing Dwarf Gourami. There's barely any chance at all that you'll get a genetically healthy fish, of either species, that won't succumb to some disease shortly after purchase. The problem I used to have with the betta's I purchased was dropsy. Tank conditions were perfect. They ate normally for months, water was always kept clean, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and never more than 20ppm of nitrates. After a couple months they'd just swell up like pinecones before quickly dying. The betta were always from the same LFS so the issue must've been bad genetics in the fish as the LFS used the same supplier for their betta every time I got one.

In my honest opinion there's no point purchasing a Dwarf Gourami or Betta that's been captive bred. They might be a bit more pricey and you have to pay for shipping but if you want either species I'd suggest going online and purchasing wild-caught species. Betta splendens is the common store variety, however there are other betta species available which vary in size, temperament, and color. I'd suggest trying to help your fish as much as possible. If you lose him and chose to get another, please look into purchasing a wild caught specimen offline. Their less hardy when it comes to conditions in aquariums but if you can keep the water at the right ph, gH, and chemical levels you won't have to worry about disease due to faulty genetics.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, thank you all for posting. Unfortunately, only hours after posting this initial thread, Gabriel died. It's so sad, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Anyway, thank you all for posting, it's nice that you guys took the time. x

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    Fortunately this does not happen with all bettas. I have had a thriving crown tail betta with no signs of difficulty for some time now. Don't be afraid to try again if the worst happens.
    I think I'd discontinue the salt and just go with water changes. If you can find some betta-fix (like melafix or pimafix) you might try that. it's supposed to help fin rot but there are no guarantees. if you can only find melafix or pimafix, then you could try it but for bettas cut the dosage in half of what's recommended.
    again, I hope he turns around - and he just might under your good care.
    Hey, i'm just so shocked by how quickly it has progressed. All the research iv'e done on the internet states that unless the water parameters are less than perfect, fin rot can't kill your fish within 1-2 days. My betta died within 48 hours, his body was browning and his fins dropped off by the hour... Could this have indeed been a superbug?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gesp56 View Post
    I have to agree with above posts. Betta are so awfully bred. There's as little point in purchasing them as there is purchasing Dwarf Gourami. There's barely any chance at all that you'll get a genetically healthy fish, of either species, that won't succumb to some disease shortly after purchase. The problem I used to have with the betta's I purchased was dropsy. Tank conditions were perfect. They ate normally for months, water was always kept clean, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and never more than 20ppm of nitrates. After a couple months they'd just swell up like pinecones before quickly dying. The betta were always from the same LFS so the issue must've been bad genetics in the fish as the LFS used the same supplier for their betta every time I got one.

In my honest opinion there's no point purchasing a Dwarf Gourami or Betta that's been captive bred. They might be a bit more pricey and you have to pay for shipping but if you want either species I'd suggest going online and purchasing wild-caught species. Betta splendens is the common store variety, however there are other betta species available which vary in size, temperament, and color. I'd suggest trying to help your fish as much as possible. If you lose him and chose to get another, please look into purchasing a wild caught specimen offline. Their less hardy when it comes to conditions in aquariums but if you can keep the water at the right ph, gH, and chemical levels you won't have to worry about disease due to faulty genetics.
    Hey, thanks for responding, in your opinion, what are the safest, most hardy fish to buy? x

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no doubt he was not in good health when you bought him. It wasn't something you did or didn't do. So sorry.
    You might want to google wild caught bettas to see if there are any for sale near you. Or someone here on the forum may know if a dealer with a good reputation.
    They are beautiful fish and very personable and hopefully your next experience will be a good one.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    no doubt he was not in good health when you bought him. It wasn't something you did or didn't do. So sorry.
    You might want to google wild caught bettas to see if there are any for sale near you. Or someone here on the forum may know if a dealer with a good reputation.
    They are beautiful fish and very personable and hopefully your next experience will be a good one.
    Thank you, but with this experience, I'm off betta's for life, It's just way too upsetting. I agree though, they are beautiful fish. x

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    too bad. I've had 3 over the years and have loved every one. I can see how this experience would turn you off them them.
    what do you plan to replace him with?
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I haven'y decided yet, probably add maybe 2 more rummy's- stay on the safer side :) They do look gorgeous x

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    rummys are gorgeous fish. Check out harlequin rasboras. if you have room a small school of them with the rummies would be pretty. Sorry, I can't remember the size of your tank and how many rummys you have.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    rummys are gorgeous fish. Check out harlequin rasboras. if you have room a small school of them with the rummies would be pretty. Sorry, I can't remember the size of your tank and how many rummys you have.
    Hey, I only have a 15 gallon, so I think harlequin rasbora's would probably be too much. Species tanks are cool though :) I have 6 rummy nose tetra's currently :) x