· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Replacing old filter with new one.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so Im in the process of cycling my 10 gallon with 5 fish, its time to replace the old filter. I heard you cant just slap a new one in the new filter needs to be cycled or build up healthy bacteria. So I'm just wondering what the process is of putting in a new filter in is?

Im a newb help me.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Do you want to swap filter during cycling your tank? If so get the new one in together with the new one.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Easiest thing as said above is just to run both filters at the same time for a month so the new filter can get colonised. If that creates too much flow (quite possible in a 10g) then remove the used media from the old filter and put it in the new filter.

If you are cycling with fish tho, you still don't have your bacteria built up yet, so you will have to continue with testing and water changes.

Just out of curiosity, why is it "time to replace the old filter"? Unless the unit is failing somehow, replacing it is not part of cycling a tank. Your phrasing just made me wonder.

4. Default

2 Not allowed!
    I, too, am wondering if you're confusing filter cartridge/media with the actual filter that hold the filter cartridge.
    If you are talking about the filter cartridge and NOT the filter, then there is no reason to replace it. That filter cartridge holds most of your beneficial bacteria that you're trying to grow while you're cycling your tank. Even after your tank is cycled, you never replace it (even though the manufacturer's instructions say to replace it monthly) but keep it in the filter until it literally falls apart which may be two years or more down the road. If it looks a bit dirty in a month or two AFTER your cycle is complete, then you can take it out and swish it gently in some of the water you removed from you tank during a water change it. You don't want to rinse it in tap water because the chlorine will kill the BB.
    In any event - please clarify if you're talking about your filter or filter cartridge.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

2 Not allowed!
    Not sure why you used the word "filter". It seems to have a few of us puzzled.
    Are you getting a larger actual filter for your tank? If so the above advice about running both is what I too would do.
    If your indicating your going to swap out the internal filter components like the sponge, media, etc. Please do not do that. Your still cycling and tossing these things out will start your cycle off all over again. If your filter media/sponge are dirty you can just rinse them off in a clean bucket of your aquarium water. It seems a little early for your filter media to be in need of a rinse off though.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmommie View Post
    I, too, am wondering if you're confusing filter cartridge/media with the actual filter that hold the filter cartridge.
    If you are talking about the filter cartridge and NOT the filter, then there is no reason to replace it. That filter cartridge holds most of your beneficial bacteria that you're trying to grow while you're cycling your tank. Even after your tank is cycled, you never replace it (even though the manufacturer's instructions say to replace it monthly) but keep it in the filter until it literally falls apart which may be two years or more down the road. If it looks a bit dirty in a month or two AFTER your cycle is complete, then you can take it out and swish it gently in some of the water you removed from you tank during a water change it. You don't want to rinse it in tap water because the chlorine will kill the BB.
    In any event - please clarify if you're talking about your filter or filter cartridge.
    Sorry I mean filter cartridge I guess, I thought it would need to be changed because its very dirty and not much water seems to be getting through now the bio wheel barely rotates.The instructions did say to change that thing every month but i figured not that frequent. Really 2 years?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

1 Not allowed!
    Really. All your beneficial bacteria that keep your waste gases in check and turn them into nitrates which your fish can tolerate (to a point), are in that cartridge. If you rinse it out under tap water or replace it like most filter instructions say, you will be eliminating all thats good in your filter/tank.
    Rinse it out in your tank water next time your doing a water change. Just make sure the container your using for the old tank water isn't contaminated with soap/detergent or some such thing. (new clean bucket you put water into the tank with). Take out the sponge and hand wash it in that bucket then but it back in place. Same for the bag of bio-media you should have in that filter.
    The water should start flowing again and your bio-wheel will start to rotate again.

I'm glad you asked before following those darn instructions.They really shouldn't be written as they are but I guess the company making those inserts wants to sell them.
    Last edited by Strider199; 09-07-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    + to Strider. he's spot on right :o)
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Absolutely yes to what strider and fishmommie said. I have a small 2.5g I had to cycle with fish (long story) and after I was fully cycled decided to heed the manufacturer's instructions and change my filter media. Well, the result was a mini cycle and a spike in ammonia. After I did that I did some reading here and learned never to do that again.