· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10G Betta tank

1. Default 10G Betta tank

0 Not allowed!

just finished setting up my new 10 gallon betta tank. I have had the tank empty for years and decided to finally do something with it. The betta is a male crowntail. I enjoy the look of the males over the females but I really wanted a female fish so I have decided to tell him he's a girl and call him Lafonda. ;) I am running a Marineland Penguin 100 filter with a submersible heater.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for sharing the photo. He's a gorgeous crown tail - looks very much like mine :o)
    The tank, I think, would benefit from a solid background to help hide the cords etc.

Also = did you cycle the tank before you put the betta in it or are you doing a fish in cycle? If you're cycling with the betta, make sure you check your water parameters daily for some time. You don't want ammonia or nitrites to get much over .25 while the tank is cycling so you'll be making frequent water changes for a while. Hopefully not more than a month or two.

Good luck. Glad you're back in the hobby
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Yes, he is gorgeous. I plan on doing 25 percent changes every other day. Do you think that is enough? It is just him in a 10 gallon but I definitely don't want to underestimate how quickly the ammonia will be concentrated.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    【ツ】 - korith first fish for your community tank! - Cyberra a friend for your other neon ;) - Cyberra tetra #3 ;) - Cyberra looks like you like neons.... i hope - genocidex 
    because sometimes they school - genocidex a good school of neons is 6 minimal !!!!! - genocidex for playing along, gift of my choice!!!! - genocidex These seem to be quite popular... - ~firefly~ ...so here's another one... - ~firefly~ 
    ...and for luck, one more. - ~firefly~ 
    Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Flyby Stardancer 

0 Not allowed!
    I have one in a 5 gallon tank, and even with a lot of plants I was still doing water changes that were about 60-70% every day when my tank spiked after I re-did the tank.
    1. 2. (No Picture)
    1: Planted Betta Tank 1, Grimsby (male betta)
    2: Planted Betta Tank 2
    3: Eclipse QT Tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what you need to do is purchase an API liquid master water test kit (NO strips as they are inaccurate). While your tank is cycling, test the water every day for ammonia and nitrites. Any day that either ammonia or nitrites are getting close to .50ppm, do a 50% water change. Your goal while cycling is to keep ammonia around.25ppm as you need some ammonia to get your cycle started. So you may be doing frequent water changes for a while - like daily or every other day.
    Eventually, you'll end up with 0 ammonia and nitrites and will also have a nitrate reading. at that point your tank is cycled. from then on keep nitrates below .20ppm with weekly w/Cs and all will be well. this process may take 1 - 3 months.
    read the fish in cycle link in my signature line for a more thorough cycle explanation.

Just remember that your Beneficial Bacteria lives in your substrate and in your filter and filter media so don't worry about changing out the water. After your tank is cycled, then you can vac the substrate to get rid of the poo and any left over food but with a betta, there shouldn't be any leftover food. feed him pellets one at a time - i generally feed 4 - 6 morning and night.
    As for your filter, don't clean it unless it gets clogged, which it shouldn't if you're not over feeding. Don't change the filter media because if you do you'll lose your BB that you've grown.
    If you absolutely feel you must clean the filter media, do it when you change your water and merely swish the media in some of the tank water you've removed. don't ever rinse it in tap water because, again, the chlorine will kill the BB and you will lose your cycle. with only a betta in the tank, you shouldn't have to do this but once every 3 months or so.
    continue to ask if you've got questions
    Last edited by fishmommie; 09-07-2013 at 02:33 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I got my new LED fixture set up and working! I love it! Dont mind the cords, I still need a background xP

Last edited by vegeta1059; 09-24-2013 at 01:31 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Lovely Betta :)

Two things to keep in mind. Cycling a tank with a Betta can cause some risks to the Betta further on, so be on top of the water parameters. Stress now, can cause illness a few months down the road.

For the background, find something that won't cause a reflection like a mirror, which will drive him nuts :)
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegeta1059 View Post
    Thanks! Yes, he is gorgeous. I plan on doing 25 percent changes every other day. Do you think that is enough? It is just him in a 10 gallon but I definitely don't want to underestimate how quickly the ammonia will be concentrated.
    As suggested above, your water changes should be dictated by the results of your water testing - if ammonia is above .25ppm, change 50% or enough to get it back down to .25 (which could mean more than 1 change in a day) until you are showing 0 ammonia - with only 10gal, changing that much water will not take very long - don't be chinzy with water changes!

Once your parameters show your tank is cycled, you can change 50% each week like many members do with their tanks.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ive been doing 40% every other day.

0 Not allowed!
    Wonderful - but are you testing your water parameters?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies