· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default angelfish with 3 front fins/feelers

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

Long time reader always looking for advice and finding great answers here. Thanks for that!

I have been looking for information on this for a while but yet am unable to find anything relating to it. (sorry if I did happen to miss it somewhere)

I have a really beautiful blue angelfish, that happens to have 3 front fins/feelers. It had 3 when I got it and thought one may have split somehow. Now that it is getting bigger I am able to see that it looks like it just has 3 of them. They are all seperate and do not connect at the base. I think it looks neat, but I am wondering if it is bad for the fish?(seems to be in great health) and is that a common defect? Anyone I am asking local has never seen it before.

Thanks for looking, and any advice or info would be great!
    Have a wonderful day!aq1.jpgaq2.jpgaq3.jpgaq4.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks for sharing photos. Beautiful angel. Interesting about the feeler.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Genetic defects/oddities do occur in fish. I've no idea what might cause this, but I wouldn't worry. If the fish is acting normal, eating, swimming, etc, it is probably not any the worse off.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Its a beautiful And healthy Looking Fish. Unless you see the fin bothering it in some way, I wouldn't worry

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    It could be a genetic defect due to inbreeding, a defect that just randomly occurred but is not linked to inbreeding, or this could be the result of two eggs improperly fusing together while they were still inside the parent fish. Basically this fish could be the equivalent of conjoined twins that occur sometimes in human babies. Its very interesting and rare. Be sure to keep him/her healthy, definitely a neat fish!!

Be sure to watch for any odd behavior. If this fish is the result of two eggs conjoining then it could have more than one of each organ. The head looks alittle more bulbous then most angelfish. This could be the result of more than one brain being present or two brains that didn't completely merge.

Very interesting fish. Its very expensive but if you ever get the chance I would have genetic tests run on it to see if more than one set of DNA is present.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 09-08-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    I've seen genetic defects like this once or twice when I bred guppies. Those never reached adulthood. Interesting to see that this one has.

Awards Showcase

Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 All that painting makes a guy hungry - Slaphppy7 Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson 
    Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 
    Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmmm....perhaps it's Pterophyllum jimmiae? ;-)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He seems very healthy and happy. Not sure what kind he is.

Got him from a local breeder.

I am posting a pic, the 3 fin fish, and the stripe one came from the same tank. When they were little they looked exactly the same with the stripes. As they got older the 3 fin lost his stripes and became the blue colour he is now.

IMAG1727.jpg

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    awesome fish, would be cool to breed it and see if you can replicate it. I imagine in you could bread a healthy strain with 3 or even 4 fins it you could earn some sort of merit or money, maybe you could name it after yourself, that'd be cool. haha, but more importantly, do it for science!

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I think the mutation is beautiful...really cool looking. As long as it's healthy, celebrate diversity, lol.
    20 gallon with a male betta, neons, glowlights, and red cherry shrimp. (work in progess) Recently added a few LIVE plants and driftwood, Woooohoooo!