· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nano ?

1. Default Nano ?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 10 gal sitting here and would like to try a nano tank. Is there a list of equipment that I could look at or could someone give me a list? Thanks Dean.

0 Not allowed!
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Cool Thank you

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Here's what I ran on my 10g when I had it running.

Lighting:
    4x24w T5HO

Flow:
    Koralia 1 (equivalent now to the Koralia Nano)
    Maxi Jet 1200 (pump on my skimmer)

Skimmer:
    CPR BakPak

While a skimmer isn't necessary on a tank this small, it surely can't hurt. Other than improving water quality and adding more flow, the skimmer also adds volume that can make a difference to a tank this small(about 10% of the total volume of the tank).
    50g African Cichlid Tank ♦ 30g Planted Community Tank ♦ 2g Pico Reef ♦ 45g Hex Goldfish Tank ♦ 10g Planted Betta Tank ♦ 55g Oscar & JD Tank ♦ 40g JD Juveniles Tank

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Here's what I ran on my 10g when I had it running.

Lighting:
    4x24w T5HO

Flow:
    Koralia 1 (equivalent now to the Koralia Nano)
    Maxi Jet 1200 (pump on my skimmer)

Skimmer:
    CPR BakPak

While a skimmer isn't necessary on a tank this small, it surely can't hurt. Other than improving water quality and adding more flow, the skimmer also adds volume that can make a difference to a tank this small(about 10% of the total volume of the tank).
    Thanks on this info! been doing a lot of reading and pricing hope to get it set up here soon.

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    You surely won't regret researching and reading up on saltwater. Its so easy to waste a LOT of money, and time, and fishy lives by trying to do things too cheaply, without some foresight. And there's so many methods and so much equipment out there - you really do need to get a handle on the basics yourself, and then get help on the details and gaps you can't quite understand once you decide where you're going.

Saltwater is quite a different - but awesome - kettle of fish! (lol)

Most of us of AC, I think, lean to live rock filtration, rather than a power filter, so you might want to read up/factor that in as well. Live rock can be quite a cost, unless you are prepared to take the time to allow for seeding dead rock.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I know next to nothing about salt, but I know a buddy of mine had pretty good luck setting up a nano using this forum as a resource: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums. No slight meant to the reefers here, but the more info the better. :)

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sheamurai View Post
    You surely won't regret researching and reading up on saltwater. Its so easy to waste a LOT of money, and time, and fishy lives by trying to do things too cheaply, without some foresight. And there's so many methods and so much equipment out there - you really do need to get a handle on the basics yourself, and then get help on the details and gaps you can't quite understand once you decide where you're going.

Saltwater is quite a different - but awesome - kettle of fish! (lol)

Most of us of AC, I think, lean to live rock filtration, rather than a power filter, so you might want to read up/factor that in as well. Live rock can be quite a cost, unless you are prepared to take the time to allow for seeding dead rock.
    That's what I was wondering about using live rock instead of a power filter. I'm going to a lfs in the next town over tomorrow that only deals in salt water and has a lot of dif coral, fish they sell and everything to do with salt water. The biggest thing i'm trying to figure out is all the equipment that I need since i'm going to use live rock and live sand.

0 Not allowed!
    I would read up on live sand before using it. There are a different options out there about the pros and cons of using it. I for one will never use it again

At a very basic level, you need:
    -as close to pure/natural salt water as possible
    -Live rock for filtration
    -about 10 to 20X water circulation from power heads
    -I would personally add a skimmer to this list, but on a basic level it can be optional
    -Almost any lighting with a 14K or higher color temp will do

If you want corals, lighting and flow become a lot more critical and you will most likely need a skimmer.

I would suggest you first decide what you want to keep in your tank and what you want it to look like. That will truly determine your equipment chooses, which would equally apply if you were setting up a 10 gallon nano, or a 1,000 gallon tank. The basics are all the same, only the scale changes.

Without that imagine in mind, I would be just taking a shot in the dark here. Any more specific details on what you want would help allot
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks on the feed back Cliff!!

I'm looking at doing something like this just to get my feet wet again.
    http://www.idahoreefs.org/Gallery/20.../1_Week_6_.jpg

I had a 29 gallon SW tank about 20 yrs ago. But back then it was just had crushed coral with live rock but think it was dead rock because nothing ever grew on it. I just had a hob filter heater and a couple other thing I don't remember and as for fish I had damsals small clown trigger and a small lion fish. The tank was healthy never had a problem. After a yr of this tank I gave it away because I moved across state and wouldn't have a place for it. So I kind of know what to do but its been so long ago I want to start from scratch again and relearn. but with coral and what not.

Thanks again Dean.