· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am searching the web and someone suggested
    "Your best bet for a colorful community tank would be a mix of Mollies, Platys, Swordtails, and Tetras. They are fun to watch, inexpensive. and hardy.
    "
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Platys seem cool from what I have read but I don't wan them breading.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Think harlequins are nice, active fish.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Parachareidon Simulans?
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    You could go with a school of Dwarf Pencilfish, a pair of apistos, maybe some otocinclus catfish? In my 10 gallon I have 9 Dwarf Pencilfish, a pair of Three Lined Apistos, and 4 Otocinclus vittatus. They all seem to do very well, it's a lightly planted tank that I hope the thicken up with more plants and driftwood.

Don't go with Platies, Mollies, or Swordtails. Tbh they're just awful fish when it comes to breeding and pooping. They produce more poop, in my opinion, than a plecostomus. I used to have 6 Platies in my 20 gallon. I put sand into the tank about a week ago and after just one night the substrate was just covered in poop. They produce enormous amounts of waste, reproduce like no tomorrow, can become super greedy with food, and can exhibit horrible attitudes. Mollies, Swordtails, and Platies really shouldn't be as popular as they are. They're easy to keep, in theory, but can become real pains in the #$% and generally aren't really pleasing to watch.

Something about those species' shapes is just boring and unappealing to me and they usually get horrible attitudes with one another and are constantly squabbling.

I'd go with my recommendation. If you don't find Dwarf Pencils colorful enough but still want a tropical schooling fish I would suggest Lemon Tetras, Black Phantom Tetras, or any other hardy schooling tetra. With a tank this size I recommend no less than 10 individuals if you're going to purchase a schooling fish.

You can go with 1 schooling species, 1 small cichlid or "centerpiece fish" species, and one "oddball" species (Such as Otocinclus or some other small species of fish that won't harm the other inhabitants and that can help add variety to the tank).

Good Luck with the new tank!!
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    I am searching the web and someone suggested
    "Your best bet for a colorful community tank would be a mix of Mollies, Platys, Swordtails, and Tetras. They are fun to watch, inexpensive. and hardy.
    "
    AZ 15g is insufficient space for mollies and swordtails. Platy could work; 3 males. Endler's livebearer is another. But only if your water is moderately hard or harder. Tetra can work, depending upon species. The quieter as opposed to active swimming species, and those that remain smaller.

Still need to know water parameters. Someone mentioned Paracheirodon simulans, but this fish is wild caught and must have soft water. But if this is the case, it would be fine, along with some pencilfish and corys.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Harlequin rasbora's and neons always look good together, Glowlights and Black neons contrast well, there are several other tetras that would work well in a tank your size; Flame (von rio), Lemon, Rosy and Black, Red, or Yellow phantoms, just to name a few.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok thanks, I am dizzy now.

How exactly do I find the water parameters? I searched on the web and posted the link I got but wasn't any help it seems. I am in Lutherville MD if anyone feels like helping.
    Last edited by atsbill123; 09-08-2013 at 07:30 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also this might sound funny but I really just want like 2-3 fish because I want to feel close to them and know them.

I am putting off getting the fish longer till I figure out exactly what to get. I added some more ammonia to my tank to keep it cycled like I was told here to do.

Awards Showcase

T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    Also this might sound funny but I really just want like 2-3 fish because I want to feel close to them and know them.

I am putting off getting the fish longer till I figure out exactly what to get. I added some more ammonia to my tank to keep it cycled like I was told here to do.
    Go with Platies than, so many colors to choose from.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep