· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default What type of fish should I get?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 15 gallon tank, it is cycled and ready for fish.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

0 Not allowed!
    It depends largely on what type of fish you like. There are plenty of small fished that can do well in a 15 gallon tank.

Are you looking for color or interesting behaviour.
    A few small fish or a couple of bigger ones

Have you kept fish before or this your first go?
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    More questions, after those William asked. What are your tap water parameters? Small fish for this sized tank are many as William mentioned, but some of them will be wild caught and have more particular requirements. Knowing the GH (hardness) and pH of your tap water will help us suggest fish. And this data you can get from the municipal water people who probably have a website. If you find it but can't decipher the data, post the link and one of us can take a look.

Back in the 1980's one of my several tanks was a 15g, and over a number of years I had several different set-ups in that tank.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    http://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt...le%2C+MD+21093 googled municipal water and my area and don't know where to go from there.
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    It depends largely on what type of fish you like. There are plenty of small fished that can do well in a 15 gallon tank.

Are you looking for color or interesting behaviour.
    A few small fish or a couple of bigger ones

Have you kept fish before or this your first go?
    This is my first go so some more hearty fish would be good, really only want like 2 or 3, not too big because the tank is small.

0 Not allowed!
    I have never kept them personally, but I've always wanted a school of Celestial Pearl Danios.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/barb...pearldanio.php

I think they are really pretty and they stay small so you could have a decent little school in a 15 gallon. They have low temperature requirements so you probably wouldn't need a heater and if you wanted a little variety in your fish maybe you could do some White Cloud Mountain Minnows with them as well.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fish/mountainminnow.php
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

7. Default What type of fish should I get?

0 Not allowed!
    Kept CPD's and so did my son : it's a shy fish that likes a heavily planted tank : problem is that you'll seldom see them. A smaller group in a community tank show other behaviour. Females "own" their plant and males swim the whole tank. Strangely in that case they are very brave fish (first to come and have a look what's happening). I like this behaviour far more than in a smaller tank. I rehomed my group after some time. Cheers Aad
    No Cory, No Glory !!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by atsbill123 View Post
    http://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_ylt...le%2C+MD+21093 googled municipal water and my area and don't know where to go from there.
    I can't make head nor tail out of that link. Find the website of the city or town you live in; they should have water data or links to it.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    Kept CPD's and so did my son : it's a shy fish that likes a heavily planted tank : problem is that you'll seldom see them. A smaller group in a community tank show other behaviour. Females "own" their plant and males swim the whole tank. Strangely in that case they are very brave fish (first to come and have a look what's happening). I like this behaviour far more than in a smaller tank. I rehomed my group after some time. Cheers Aad
    That's great info, sounds like they wouldn't be a great fit for this. If you're only having one or two types of fish, you want them to really shine.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    anyone else have any idea what to get? I plan to go to the store tomorrow.