· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   Someone who treats clowns with respect deserves one. - talldutchie   Good luck with your FF teams this season! - Slaphppy7   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    My sister juzt locks the door and pumps in her office. You can get by only doing it once in an 8 hour work day so not too bad there.

Also if parents are split there is often child support paid to the parent that has the child more. That money can be used for childcare too. My state has a program that helps single pregnant women with groceries to make sure they eat right and then formula if they neex it too.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

1 Not allowed!
    It is very much dependent on the state you live in, and the company you work for. My wife got 3 months of paid leave for both our kids, employer policy. The school my kids attend also offers paid leave for teachers, I think 3 months.

On the other hand, I also know quite a few women who opted to stop working when they had kids, some of them because they did not have enough paid leave to suit their needs. Also, in major cities child care can be prohibitive, and this certainly weighs in, particularly if you have a husband with sufficient income to be able to stop working for a while.

I can't comment on how bad this is for your career, but I would imagine that getting back in the workforce after 2+ years off cannot be easy, and even less so in the current job market. I know some women who have gone back to part time jobs. I don't know if this is by choice, so they can spend time with the kids, or because after a few years of not working they could not find a full time job to justify going back.

I have always found this lack of support for new parents quite surprising. I am originally from Venezuela, where women now get 6 months of leave at full pay (used to be 3, until the law changed last year). Under the new law men get 2 weeks at full pay and parents are also protected from being fired from their jobs for 2 years after having a baby!

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

> - korith   Someone who treats clowns with respect deserves one. - talldutchie   Good luck with your FF teams this season! - Slaphppy7   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA   

0 Not allowed!
    ^That is a lot of paid time off. When I had each of our kids my husband saved and used between 2 and 3 weeks of his paid vacation time to help me out. His company doesnt offer an paid materity or paternity pay, you have to use your vacation time. It was important to have him home at least two weeks since I was not allowed to drive for that time because I had csections each time. We also had complications each time, once with me and once with our boy that required extra dr visits after being released from the hospital so if he had not saved that vacation time I would have had a hard time getting there.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    It may be in part because the US tends to look at having a child as a personal choice instead of a right. Which I can agree with companies not offering paid leave for having a child because it would probably in a lot of cases prompt more irresponsible people to have a child just for the job security and paid time off. Like with anything if you wish to have a child plan for and save for that decision. Of course we have loads of government assistance programs which help, unfortunately many those are often unavailable to those who hold a job in the first place.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    The Swedish model seems to work well for them without bankrupting them.

Sweden provides working parents with an entitlement of 16 months paid leave per child at 80 percent pay, the cost being shared between employer and the state.[5] To encourage greater paternal involvement in child-rearing, 2 months out of the 16 is reserved for the "minority" parent, in practice usually the father

It certainly doesn't seem to impact the results of our division there.

While we're on the subject, is there a difference in the number of kids people have? Over here 2 is common, 3 isn't that common but doesn't attract attention either. More than that is usually for very religious people it seems.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy New Year - mommy1   Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA   Good Morning :-) - Taurus   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Just to let you know I'm thinking about you. Better things will come. - Taurus   
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - MCHRKiller   Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - MCHRKiller   Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - MCHRKiller   Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - MCHRKiller   Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - MCHRKiller   

2 Not allowed!
    It depends it seems at least in my area on socioeconomic status. Due to the government benefits and support of children many individuals opt to have many children simply just to receive those benefits. Otherwise 0-3 is common...seems more are opting not to have children these days. I suspect this is because of the cost, lack of time, and lack of desire.
    3x75 gallons|1x55 gallon|2x40 gallons

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    USA
    Birth rate: 13.7 births/1,000 population (2012 est.)

UK
    Birth rate: 12.27 births/1,000 population (2012 est.)

Sweden
    Birth rate: 10.24 births/1,000 population (2012 est.)

Netherlands
    Birth rate: 10.89 births/1,000 population (2012 est.)
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   For Your 33 Gallon. Happy Holidays! - Taurus   Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime   

0 Not allowed!
    hm I thought UK was a touch lower than that, I'd expected Sweden to be lower than that even.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Merry Christmas - Cliff   Merry Xmas! - Sandz   H'agassizii a lovely christmas! - ScottishFish   Thanks!  Merry Christmas to you, too! - KevinVA   Merry Christmas - mommy1   
    HIV/AIDS - ~firefly~   

0 Not allowed!
    The birth rate has been going down over the past few years in the UK, although I recently saw various tabloid newspapers reporting that it had "shot up" due to "unchecked immigration" which isn't actually supported by the stats.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Thanks for the rep, I hope all is well with you ;-) - steeler58   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Happy V Day! - WhistlingBadger   Happy Holidays to you!  Miss you at the forum. - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by MCHRKiller View Post
    I can agree with companies not offering paid leave for having a child because it would probably in a lot of cases prompt more irresponsible people to have a child just for the job security and paid time off.
    Yes, this very much happens at home. The 6 month leave coupled with the 2 year job security sometimes leads to people having more kids than they responsibly should. The worst part is these tend to be people in the poorest sectors of the population (which, at home, can be very poor), which will later have problems providing for all these kids. Too much protection leads to abuses, for sure.