· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tubing Stiffness and Mystery Death

0 Not allowed!
    Hello fellow fish fanatics.

I have a quick question: What will cause tubing and suction cups to harden in the fish tank?

I ask this because I just finished helping out my friend do a field day cleaning on her 75 gallon tank and I realized how stiff all her tubes and rubber suction cups were compared to mine. What bothered me is that we both live in the same city, we both have the Aqueon water changer (the one that hooks up to the sink) and my was alot more flexible compared to hers. Another reason it bothers me is because her last blood parrot died on my Monday. She bought six 1 inch baby last year and in the last 4 month they started to die off at about 3 to 4 inches without any sign disease but would show sign of stress (hangout by themselves) a couple of days before dying. We did not treat the tank because it would be weeks or a month before another would die. Throughout this ordeal her water parameters where good and consistent and she did a 50% water change once a week without fail. I chalked up the loss of the blood parrots to perhaps an internal genetic defects (a bad batch) since they nevered showed any symptoms of being sick other then dying. She bought them all at the same time from the same LFS, but now Im wondering if these stiff tubes and suction cups might be a clue to something else that might have caused their death.

SPECS:
    75 gallon tank (for those of you that skim rather then read)
    1x 3-STAGE EXTERNAL CANISTER AQUARIUM FILTER w/ FILTER MEDIA 200GPH (no name from ebay)
    1x Prosponge 50 Biofilter (DeepBlue)
    In the near future(like next week) she will be adding another filter,probably an H.O.B or another cansister.

PARAMETERS:
    pH = 6.5 (typical NYC water)
    hardness= 3-4 dkh (typical NYC water)
    Ammonia= 0
    Nitrite= 0
    Nitrate= 10-20 ppm

Pervious Stock:R.I.P
    6 Blood Parrot cichlids (not dyed, NEVER SUPPORT DYED FISH)

New Stock: (after a 90% water change and field day)
    1x 3 inches tiger oscar
    2x 3 inches silver dollar
    Roll the Dice!

1 Not allowed!
    Well, depending on the type of rubber and how long she had it compared to you, it can be different. Generally, rubber will eventually deteriorate and become stiff/brittle over time.

Assuming she has been doing a good job with everything with the tank, it's possible that she just got a bad defective batch of parrots.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Thats the thing Spardas we started the hobby around the same time. I guess the important thingis all the equipment works fine and the tubes are stiff but not brittle. I ll keep an eye on that. ll start a new thread with the oscar in a couple of weeks.
    Roll the Dice!

1 Not allowed!
    +1 on what Spardas suggested. Also, on the fish, these developed fish are known to have any number of physiological problems. I am with the camp that says one should never buy engineered fish. "Balloon" types is another.

To the new proposed fish, this is not going to work, mixing Oscar and Silver Dollar, or anything else for that matter. One Oscar needs a 75g tank to itself. While fish are gregarious at the juvenile stage, they will eat fishes smaller than themselves as they mature and are often intolerant of tankmates as adults. Should be maintained singly or as a mated pair. Additional fish require very much larger tanks. This is not a community fish for most home aquaria.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Bryon. Yea I knew that from the get go, but she wanted them. So i did the next best thing. I convinced her to sell the SD in a few month once the Oscar starts filling in the tank. I told her if she didn't she ll find a crime scene in her tank eventually. Nothing like $$$ and fear to get what you want, the American way lol. But seriously, she is aware of the dangers and will do the right thing when the time comes.
    Roll the Dice!

6. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Her water supply is suspect. You mentioned that even the Aqueon water changer was more stiff than yours. Something else is in the water supply that you are not testing. I would run something like Chemi-pure Elite to make reduce any potential issues with the water.
    Last edited by Rocksor; 09-06-2013 at 04:06 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gogi View Post
    Thanks Bryon. Yea I knew that from the get go, but she wanted them. So i did the next best thing. I convinced her to sell the SD in a few month once the Oscar starts filling in the tank. I told her if she didn't she ll find a crime scene in her tank eventually. Nothing like $$$ and fear to get what you want, the American way lol. But seriously, she is aware of the dangers and will do the right thing when the time comes.
    By then it will be too late. I am one who does not believe in subjecting fish to such stress. Tell her it is cruel. The damage done from the outset will harm the fish for life, at least what life is left to it, which won't be much.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking something similar to rocksor here. The age of the house and tyoe of plumbing might be contaminating the water with something. The most likely thing with plumbing would be lead, but I have no idea if that would stiffen tubes.

Awards Showcase

Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 All that painting makes a guy hungry - Slaphppy7 Happy Friday! - Slaphppy7 Nice job on the stand, congrats! - Slaphppy7 To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson 
    Congrats on the avatar contest! - Slaphppy7 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Welcome back! - Slaphppy7 Have a rummy, and imagine a shoal - Slaphppy7 some halloween candy for you. - mommy1 
    TGIF - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Compass More candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Your candy bag is getting full. - mommy1 
    Thanks for playing, here's some candy for your candy bag - mommy1 Thanks for your help. - metweezer Here's some pumpkin pie, thanks for playing - mommy1 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF to you :) - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    The storage conditions of the hose might also be at fault, at least partially -- the hose spends most of its time dry and in storage, so storage conditions will affect it quite a bit.

Having said that, however, between the suction cups going stiff and the fish losses, I would agree the water is probably at fault here, and it doesn't necessarily have to be some strange chemical: NitrAtes, for example, CAN have an effect on some plastics like PVC, neoprene and others, so if her tank consistently has higher nitrates than yours it might explain the higher stiffening over time, even if her nitrates are still within acceptable ranges.
    Last edited by wgoldfarb; 09-06-2013 at 06:50 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocksor View Post
    Her water supply is suspect. You mentioned that even the Aqueon water changer was more stiff than yours. Something else is in the water supply that you are not testing. I would run something like Chemi-pure Elite to make reduce any potential issues with the water.

Thats a good idea.
    Roll the Dice!