· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ten gallon

1. Default New ten gallon

0 Not allowed!
    So I just took a another look at my ten gallon and I think I need a lot of help . The first thing is the tea color of the tank I do have driftwood in their I thought you just let it sit in the water and the color will go a away but that has not worked so I need help with that.the second question is what fish do you all think will like this kind of setup004.jpg.It is a work in progress but these is how I want it to look over all ( yes I do know about the fish less cycle and all the steps) it is going to have a sand bottom to. Any fish that you think will like this just tell me(but not neon tetras)

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Well, since you haven't even put in the substrate yet for the thank you can just empty the water, and you don't seem to have a filter on the tank, or a heater that I can see. I would just empty the water, and make sure to rinse the wood quite a bit. Once you get a filter up and running on it, it will help clear the water. You will be very limited to the amount of stock you can keep if you go with bigger fish other than tetras, which is why they are usually suggested for tanks that small.

Heres a pretty good list of what you keep in a 10g if you do set of schooling fish etc:
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...num=1&count=24

But you should get your substrate in the tanks, AFTER rinsing it, then get the wood and rock whatever your displaying in there set up and rinsed then put in you water to start your cycle.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    agree with the above.
    Be aware that your drift wood might leach tannins for several weeks. it does not hurt anything and will eventually go away.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of fish have you considered freshwater shrimp?
    A 10 gallon is great for a little colony of red cherry shrimps. If their very easy requirements are met, they will thrive. There are other, more colourful, shrimp, just as crystal red shrimp, that would also be suitable in a 10 gallon.
    Just thought I would offer an alternative to fish as a 10gallon is quite limiting.
    • 20 gallon: Posh shrimp tank:2 panda taiwan bee shrimp, 14 F1 hybrid bee shrimps and MTS
    • 15 gallon: 1 Pair German Blue Ram, 9 Harlequin Rasbora, 1 Threadfin Rainbowfish, a lot of cherry shrimp and MTS

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have every thing for the tank I just left outside to sit but any other like the bleeding heart tetra or Congo tetra or any other maybe even glolight tetras. I want it like a another mini community tank

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also look at:

Hengel's rasbora's as they are slightly smaller and I think they are more striking than the Harlequins and Celestial Pearl Danios are also a good choice if you are thinking of adding a few plants.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed

0 Not allowed!
    A 10g is a very small space, so tetra like Bleeding Heart and Congo are much too large. I don't know if you meant tetra similar to these, or these, but you want very small fish here. Remember that all these tetra need a group. One species is one option, with 7-8. If you want more than one species, then look at the much smaller fish. Some have already been suggested, but here you need to consider water parameters, meaning the GH (hardness) and pH. Many of the so-called "nano" fish will be wild caught and have water preferences to keep them healthy.

You can find out the GH and pH from your local water supply people, likely on their website. That will get us started.

Sand is ideal as a substrate, I use play sand. Substrate fish will have no issues with sand. And I agree with others on the wood, it is harmless, and actually good for many of these fish anyway.

Byron.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I used pool filter sand in my past tanks, its sits great, doesn't compact and is easy to clean when doing changes.
    I like harlequin rasbora/ t-bone rasbora. Small school of six would look good. And you could always add live low light plants to to the tank to make it look more full and not cut to much of the space out.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So was just thinking to myself and that's when it hit me is there any fish like a glolight tetra and a similar tetra and Rummynose Tetra or glolight and normal zebra danio like I would get 8 of both and some 7 shrimp

10. Default

1 Not allowed!
    Look at one of these below. You could have a dozen of one species, add about 6 dwarf cory habrosus or cory pygmaeus and you will have a lively tank.

fish in the genus Microrasbora are
    Microrasbora erythromicron
    Microrasbora gatesi
    Microrasbora kubotai
    Microrasbora nana
    Microrasbora rubescens

also consider some from the Boraras genus
    Boraras brigittae
    Boraras maculatus
    Boraras merah
    Boraras micros
    Boraras urophthalmoides