· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What plants can I grow under these lights?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon 4 ft. tank. This is a link to the lights I will have http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I just need some easy plants that all I have to do is plant them and let them be, and I also need a floating plant for top swimmers.

0 Not allowed!
    I am assuming you have one of those plastic lids with the built in lighting fixture that has two of these 15 watt bulbs, am I correct ?

If that is the case, then you have low to very low lighting levels. Plants like java fern, java moss, and/or moss balls could work with 30 watts of 6700K lighting in a 55 gallon tank. You could attached the java fern to a pc of driftwood that sits higher in the tank to allow the plant to get even more light

There are some floating plants that you may want to consider instead as well

I would need more information about your light in order to help you better.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Cliff. And I think this came up in another thread...? Doesn't matter.

If you have two 18-inch tubes over this tank, the Life-Glo is about the only tube that will provide sufficient light and it will at that be as Cliff mentioned. Is this fixture a definite, or can you change it?

For the moment, staying with what you have, this is an opportunity to have more of a biotope aquascape. Most of the streams in South America and many parts of SE Asia do not have aquatic plants because they are shaded by overhanging forest/vegetation and insufficient light penetrates. These streams are full of wood, as roots, fallen trees, and branches. You can set up a very natural aquascape with play sand, lots of bogwood, some dried leaves, and confine plants to floating plants. This is very natural for many of our fish.

Here are some photos of what I am talking about; these are not my tanks, but the photos illustrate exactly what a biotope for cardinals and similar soft water fish can look like. The first is actually set up for cardinal tetra. The second is another Amazonian-type biotope that has some JAva Fern as Cliff mentioned. The third and fourth photos are of two tanks aquascapes replicating the Rio Huallaga in Peru, containing fish found together therein.

Amazon cardinal habitat.jpgAmazonian habitat.jpgRio Huallaga aquascape.jpgRio Huallaga drainage aquascape.jpg

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes I have 2 plastic hoods that each have a 18 inch fixture in them. They did not come with Life-Glo that is what I bought. I tried looking for something bigger than 15 watts but could not find any that were 18 inches. I'm not quite sure what is meant by "is the fixture definite," but the lighting part can be pulled away from the rest of the hood, leaving the glass and tray behind, from there you can unscrew the lights and add a new one.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by acetune View Post
    Yes I have 2 plastic hoods that each have a 18 inch fixture in them. They did not come with Life-Glo that is what I bought. I tried looking for something bigger than 15 watts but could not find any that were 18 inches. I'm not quite sure what is meant by "is the fixture definite," but the lighting part can be pulled away from the rest of the hood, leaving the glass and tray behind, from there you can unscrew the lights and add a new one.
    What I meant by the fixture being definite, is if you had it and had to make the best of it, or if you were considering replacing it or buying something different. If you decide on the latter, I can provide some suggestions. But if you stay with what you have, I think Cliff and I have suggested what is possible. And on the tube wattage, each length of T8 tube is a standard wattage, so you won't find higher wattage tubes. However, the intensity can vary a lot between tubes, and the one you have, Life-Glo, is about the best there is. I use this on my single-tube tanks. Also, the wattage is simply the measurement of the amount of energy (electricity) that it takes to light the tube; it has no direct relationship to the tube's light intensity, which is due to the phosphors and how the tube is constructed.

To the "floating plant only" tank, I am experimenting with this myself. I have always had planted tanks, with substrate-rooted plants. But my 33g only has one T8 tube and this is fairly low to moderate light. Substrate plants do not fare all that well obviously, and as I happened to get some fish for this tank that need less overhead light and therefore increased the floating plants, I have been moving toward a tank similar to those pictured in my last post. This actually works well, and I have become more and more pleased. It is different than my other 5 or 6 tanks, but it is just as interesting because the fish are in their element and begin to show it. Here's a photo. My Java Fern has done very well in this dim light, and the surface is thick with floating Water Sprite as you can see.

33g Aug 23-13.jpg

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So could I just attach a java fern to the driftwood ornament in the middle of my tank and have some floating plants? Or does it have to be real driftwood?2013-09-04_15-32-26_267.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    So could I just attach a java fern to the driftwood ornament in the middle of my tank and have some floating plants? Or does it have to be real driftwood?2013-09-04_15-32-26_267.jpg
    Java Fern will attach to most anything. You will likely have to attach it with black cotton thread or fishingline to get it to stay, if the "wood" is not rough like real wood to which the roots will attach in time. But that is fine.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What if I changed my lights to these. http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu...8362143&sr=1-5

0 Not allowed!
    What if I changed my lights to these. http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-Aquariu...8362143&sr=1-5
    This is something I cannot help with, as I have never tried LED lighting. It can work, but it also cannot work over planted tanks. You have to know exactly what you're getting. Hopefully another member with experience in this lighting will come along.

I will just mention though that if you go to different lighting, you should probably consider a different top on the tank. The existing hood will probably not work because it will block much of this light. A glass cover set is what we normally use on tanks with strip lighting. I have this on my three larger tanks (4-foot and 5-foot).

Byron.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have the FLUVAL LED strip lighting for my tank, which i believe is the same as this link:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-S.../dp/B00AYUXWPG
    though i have the long one for my 55 gallon, not the 18 inch. I find it does fairly well for the plants I have, though i believe all mine are lower light plants?
    This is my tank:
    IMG_5801.jpg

This is my first attempt at a somewhat planted tank and I really don't know that much myself, but I hope it gives you a bit of an idea about the LED's.
    "Animals are such agreeable friends, they ask no questions, they pass no criticism."
    ~George Eliot