· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Issue with 25 gallon aquarium setup

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 25 gallon setup that presently has 2 tiny little catfish caught from the near by town lake, have had them for about 5 months and they are growing good and healthy but will be letting them go. My question is since they are wild caught catfish how can I de-contaminate the aquarium? Thought about cleaning out the tank a few times and then refilling the tank with bleach water and letting this run through the Aqua Clear 50 fiter to kill any bacteria or just using very strong salt solution to kill the bacteria. Also would the gravel eventually be O.K?, or should I replace it, and by running either bleach solution or salt solution through the filter would this kill the bacteria in the filter media? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
    1--29 gallon tank: 1 small angelfish, pygmy cory, and 4 baby albino bristlenose.
    2--55 gallon tank: 1 adult angelfish, 7 black skirt tetras, 5 yo yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish and 1 spotted raphael.
    3--3 gallon tank with female betta.

1 Not allowed!
    What kind of catfishes are they? Just wondering what type of fishes they are before really going into nuking the tank....

Nuking a tank!

I'd go with the bleach solution. 1 teaspoon per gallon. If you don't have much gravel, might as well throw that out and start fresh. But if you want to keep it, just stir it up a bit and let the bleach run its course for an hour. Dump the water and refill the tank and add in Prime or some dechlor and let it run for an hour. Dump out that water and refill and dechlor again....

You just want to make sure that you neutrailize the bleach completely.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    You always have problems getting bleach out.

A very effective way to handle this is to let everything dry out and keep it dry for 2-3 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    The tank and filter itself can be cleaned, it is the stuff like the filter media and substrate along with wood and rock--all of which will absorb pathogens, bleach...whatever. I would discard these items completely.

There is another issue here, and that is releasing "captive" fish into the wild. Pathogens that may not affect tropical fish in an aquarium can be dangerous to wild fish species, and it is possible that the wild fish picked up some of these from this or other tanks. Pathogens can be transferred from tank to tank during water changes, etc. I would be very cautious about releasing any fish into the wild. In many states it is illegal.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The catfish are little bullhead catfish I believe. I may just get rid of them instead of putting back in to the wild since they are just bull heads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    What kind of catfishes are they? Just wondering what type of fishes they are before really going into nuking the tank....

Nuking a tank!

I'd go with the bleach solution. 1 teaspoon per gallon. If you don't have much gravel, might as well throw that out and start fresh. But if you want to keep it, just stir it up a bit and let the bleach run its course for an hour. Dump the water and refill the tank and add in Prime or some dechlor and let it run for an hour. Dump out that water and refill and dechlor again....

You just want to make sure that you neutrailize the bleach completely.
    1--29 gallon tank: 1 small angelfish, pygmy cory, and 4 baby albino bristlenose.
    2--55 gallon tank: 1 adult angelfish, 7 black skirt tetras, 5 yo yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish and 1 spotted raphael.
    3--3 gallon tank with female betta.