· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default 20 gallon finale thougths

0 Not allowed!
    Hey every one I was looking at my tank made my finale thoughts I got everything out but the 6 neon tetras are staying here is a picture002.jpg my finale thoughts were to get 8 or 6 black phantom tetras and 6 cory catfish and 1 male German blue ram (or if I cant find one any other fish that will stand out your opinion on a fish) will that be a steady community tank?

0 Not allowed!
    This should work [I remember your previous thread on this tank] though I might suggest a thing or two. The neons and phantoms are fish that remain in the lower half of the aquarium. Obviously the corys do too, mainly, though they will browse plant leaves right to the surface depending upon species. The Blue Ram is also a fish that remains close to the substrate. What all this means, is that you will have a nice group of fish all in the lower half of the aquarium.

Rather than look for a ram, you might want to consider upper fish to fill out the space visually. The neons and phantoms are a good mix, and the corys. For the upper level, there are hatchetfish, or some of the pencilfish. If you like hatchets, stay with the species in the Carnegiella genus as they remain smaller and are less active so they suit a 20g better than the larger and rather active species in Gasteropelecus which are often available. As for pencilfish, the Rocket or Diptail (Nannostomus eques) is a good choice as it swims at an oblique angle, is peaceful, and like to remain close to the surface. Floating plants will keep it there, picking food bits off the leaves and roots.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

0 Not allowed!
    neon tetras stay near the top.
    at least that's what i read and that's what my neons do.
    but still i agree with byron you should get another top level fish.
    pencil-fish is a good choise
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    This should work [I remember your previous thread on this tank] though I might suggest a thing or two. The neons and phantoms are fish that remain in the lower half of the aquarium. Obviously the corys do too, mainly, though they will browse plant leaves right to the surface depending upon species. The Blue Ram is also a fish that remains close to the substrate. What all this means, is that you will have a nice group of fish all in the lower half of the aquarium.

Rather than look for a ram, you might want to consider upper fish to fill out the space visually. The neons and phantoms are a good mix, and the corys. For the upper level, there are hatchetfish, or some of the pencilfish. If you like hatchets, stay with the species in the Carnegiella genus as they remain smaller and are less active so they suit a 20g better than the larger and rather active species in Gasteropelecus which are often available. As for pencilfish, the Rocket or Diptail (Nannostomus eques) is a good choice as it swims at an oblique angle, is peaceful, and like to remain close to the surface. Floating plants will keep it there, picking food bits off the leaves and roots.

Byron.
    you know all my life I have never heard or seen a hatchet fish the marble hatchet fish is a beautiful fish. How many would you recommend?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to those above me, they made some good suggestions. As for hatchet numbers, I have never kept a proper group but I think you could keep around 5 or 6.
    Another good top dwelling fish that is more available in the market is the white cloud. They can be quite pretty, espcially when they flare their yellow fins near the surface.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    [AlTE=Greentoads41;1176690]+1 to those above me, they mean some good suggestions. As for hatchet numbers, I have never kept a proper group but I think you could keep around 5 or 6.
    Another good top dwelling fish that is more available in the market is the white cloud. They can be quite pretty, espcially when they flare their yellow fins near the surface.[/QUOTE]

Thanks everyone i will post a picture of the tank after each All of my fish are in

1 Not allowed!
    The hatchets should have no less than 8-9. In small numbers they can be highly stressed. The Marble (Carnegiella strigata) is a lovely fish, and the Black-winged (Carnegiella marthae) is another. There is a third species less often seen, the pygmy hatchet (Carnegiella myersi) that I would not recommend here because it is extremely delicate. The first two are more robust.

I would not get white clouds with hatchets; the white cloud is quite an active fish, and this can unsettle hatchets. Actually, I wouldn't suggest white clouds for this reason with the other fish either.

On the neon's position in the aquarium, they should tend to favour the lower half, just as the related species cardinal and false neon do. All three dislike overhead light, which is likely one reason for this. Floating plants should always be used.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]