· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Help me please!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Hi every one,

I am so sorry, since i am doubling my post, but i cant find the final answer.
    Here is my original thread, which i already posted in the Beginner Freshwater section.
    Please any one can help me and answer my questions.

Thank you

1 Not allowed!
    I went back and read that thread...I have NO experience with that type of Eheim filter, but I can tell you this:

If you are getting good water flow, the filter seems to be running fine, and the water is clear, DON'T change or remove anything IF you are cycling
    If you are in the middle of a cycle, what type are you doing?...Fish, no fish?..how are your water parameters?

Beneficial bacteria will be growing all throughout that filter, pretty much regardless of what's in there...unless you remove it or wash it in tap water with chlorine or chloramines in it

If you are cycling, don't worry about the setup of the filter now...get cycled, then seek more info on your biomedia

Personally, I just started a fishless cycle yesterday, with an Eheim 2215 canister filter...all I have in there, in order from bottom to top, are the ehimechs, blue sponge, bag of Fluval bio rings,bag of the Eheim bio "balls" (look like Cocao Puffs), and the white sponge to top it off...and I am quite confident that I don't need anything else

That new Eheim "mech" stuff you bought, I have never seen before..

Hope this helps
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    Is there a reason that you do not want to follow the media recommendations in the pictures included in the original thread?

As for the ehfimech and eheim mech they do appear to be the same thing. Keep in mind that their only purpose is to break up and even out the water entering the canister, and pretty much any large particle media could do that.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    I went back and read that thread...I have NO experience with that type of Eheim filter, but I can tell you this:

If you are getting good water flow, the filter seems to be running fine, and the water is clear, DON'T change or remove anything IF you are cycling
    If you are in the middle of a cycle, what type are you doing?...Fish, no fish?..how are your water parameters?

Beneficial bacteria will be growing all throughout that filter, pretty much regardless of what's in there...unless you remove it or wash it in tap water with chlorine or chloramines in it

If you are cycling, don't worry about the setup of the filter now...get cycled, then seek more info on your biomedia

Personally, I just started a fishless cycle yesterday, with an Eheim 2215 canister filter...all I have in there, in order from bottom to top, are the ehimechs, blue sponge, bag of Fluval bio rings,bag of the Eheim bio "balls" (look like Cocao Puffs), and the white sponge to top it off...and I am quite confident that I don't need anything else

That new Eheim "mech" stuff you bought, I have never seen before..

Hope this helps
    Yes for sure that much help... Thank you,
    Actually this is my first time in this hobby, and i like it so much.. I found my self setting for hours and hours doing and arranging my new aquarium.
    Yes i am in a middle of cycle, buy my mistake was that i got some fishes.
    The PH's are good, Amonia also is zero, and the nitrite start showing up 5.0. I am doing water change 25-50% each 2 days, i already lost 3 angels.
    Will try not to worry about the media setup, and i hope that this cycle will finish ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    Is there a reason that you do not want to follow the media recommendations in the pictures included in the original thread?

As for the ehfimech and eheim mech they do appear to be the same thing. Keep in mind that their only purpose is to break up and even out the water entering the canister, and pretty much any large particle media could do that.
    There is no reason to do that with the Eheim filters, i am already flowing the media recommendation on them.
    But my concern was to the other top "led" filters, what media should i use on them, i have 4 filters (2 external + 2 at the top of the tank), check the pictures please on page 3 at the original thread.
    Thank you for your help.

2 Not allowed!
    I'm no person to ask about filters but are you aware that if you are cycling with fish, you need SOME ammonia in there to grow bacteria? Your water changes should only be done if the ammonia gets too high - it's important to maintain about a .25 reading for ammonia - if it goes higher, THEN you do a water change. Removing all ammonia will not help the cycle, it will prevent it from happening - ammonia is needed to feed existing bacteria and grow new ones.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    I'm no person to ask about filters but are you aware that if you are cycling with fish, you need SOME ammonia in there to grow bacteria? Your water changes should only be done if the ammonia gets too high - it's important to maintain about a .25 reading for ammonia - if it goes higher, THEN you do a water change. Removing all ammonia will not help the cycle, it will prevent it from happening - ammonia is needed to feed existing bacteria and grow new ones.
    Yes you are right, and my ammonia show zero...
    So do you advice me to add some stuff which increase that ammonia?? and what should i buy to do that??

0 Not allowed!
    You are cycling WITH fish, and you show no ammonia?...what type of test kit are you using?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slaphppy7 View Post
    You are cycling WITH fish, and you show no ammonia?...what type of test kit are you using?
    API liquid test

0 Not allowed!
    What are your nitrIte and nitrAte readings?...when did you do a water change last, and how much?...what tank size, and what fish are in there?

3 Not allowed!
    Yes, if you are cycling with fish, whatever you have in there needs to produce enough ammonia to register on a test kit - like if you are trying to cycle a 150gal tank with a guppy in it, that's not going to happen LOL.

The way to increase your ammonia is by adding more fish (but we dont' know we can advise this yet due to not knowing your tank size or what's in it already), or, get rid of whatever is in there and cycle with pure ammonia.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies