· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New filter questions

0 Not allowed!
    I purchased a new filter for my 20 gallon aquarium. Currently I have the Topspot 20 that came with my tank but instead of having the normal inserts, I put a piece of foam that I cut to size and put in a bag of biomax insert. I know that all my good bacteria is in my filter so if I just removed the old filter and put in the new (Aquaclear 50), that would be bad. My question is should I run both filters for a couple weeks or can I remove the biomax sphere filter from the old one along with some of the foam and put it in the new Aquaclear and remove the old TopSpot. The one issue I have about temporarily keeping both is that it would mean I need to take off more of the lid for both filters to fit and when I'm down to just the Aquaclean I will have a huge hole in the top.

1 Not allowed!
    I would use the "old" media in the new filter.

You don't mention how long this tank has been running, but depending upon this there can be more bacteria in the substrate than the filter. Nitrifying bacteria/archaea will colonize all surfaces covered by water. Live plants also help in all this as well. So there are some "backups" for this.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

1 Not allowed!
    I agree with Byron to go ahead and move the well established filter media to the new filter. All will be well. Just watch your water parameters for a couple of weeks as it's possible you might experience a small ammonia spike but some water changes will take care of that if it happens.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    well, if you don't bother by language but you get into a Russian MM and you don't speak it... it will bother them I guess you can also search about it