· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Pool filter sand can be rough, it depends upon the sand. There is also the colour aspect; most of it seems to be white, and this is something you should avoid.

I switched my tanks (6 of 7) over to Quikrete Play Sand and I have had no issues with it. It takes a lot of initial rinsing, but the end result is well worth it. Substrate fish (corys, loaches, and substrate feeding fish like cichlids) do very well with this; it is safe and pure. Plants grow well in it. And as a bonus, it replicates the sand in Amazonian streams so it is natural in appearance. And it is certainly inexpensive.

Byron.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've 6 tanks with Poolfilter sand (two grain sizes). It's color is yellowish : think it's great stuff as said.
    No Cory, No Glory !!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Home Depot had play sand so I got that and rinsed it for a couple hours before adding it to the tank, cleared up very quickly after a 50% water change.

I currently have my 7 julii (probably trilineatus) cory in my 55g, I was wondering what is the best way to transfer them, just scoop them up and put them in? (my two tanks are right next to each other). Anything else I should be aware of when transferring? Temperatures are within 1-2 degrees F of each other for the two tanks.

1 Not allowed!
    I don't remember reading whether or not this new tank of yours is cycled or not?

If not, it's not a great idea to put bottom feeders in there until that happens - toxins tend to be at the bottom of a tank and catfish or other bottom dwellers can be affected & stressed.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    Agree. All corys are highly sensitive to changes in water parameters/conditions and they are best going into a cycled and somewhat established tank. If they can remain where they are until the new tank is ready, it would be best.

Make sure there are hiding places, like chunks of bogwood. If they can get away from everything at first, they will be calmer.

Byron.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Live plants would be the best thing to do to improve water quality. And by floating plants, I mean live plants that float. They are easiest to maintain, and they grow fastest which means they use more nutrients so they are "cleaning" the water faster.
    what are some good floating plants that possibly do not require a lot of light and are more for beginners? (ive never had plants in my tank)

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by punkhazard View Post
    what are some good floating plants that possibly do not require a lot of light and are more for beginners? (ive never had plants in my tank)
    Light is not usually an issue with floating plants, since they are close to it. But, it does have to be somewhat specific or algae can become a nuisance. What type of light fixture do you have over the tank (fluorescent tube, or screw-in bulbs, or LED). I can suggest good tubes/bulbs. LED won't matter here.

I like the more substantial plants, like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta), which is ideal. Water Lettuce and Frogbit are two others that tend to remain a bit smaller. Some stem plants can be used floating, Pennywort is especially effective.

Byron.