· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How many Julii Cory in a 20g Long?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everyone,

I currently have a newly set up 20g long tank with 6 zebra danio. Besides the julii cory, only other fish I would probably add would be an Albino Bristlenose pleco.

How many Julii Cory could I put in without overstocking? would 10+ be too much?

Thanks

Edit: 30g AquaClear Filter
    Last edited by punkhazard; 09-02-2013 at 12:16 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    I would first add a couple more Zebra Danio, for 8 total. Shoaling fish are always better with more, and you have the space.

Corys will be OK, 10 should be fine...you could do two species if you like. Try to have minimum five per species. They all get along.

I'm assuming you know about cycling and that is taken care of (since you mention this being a new setup). And plants, even if just floating? And several chunks of wood, corys love having hiding spots or they can be a bit unsettled.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    ^^I'd go with 10 Julii. IMO mixing species only looks nice when you can have larger schools of each species. I have a 20 gallon also that I'll be stocking with 6 Panda Cories soon.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Byron,

My plan is to add the albino pleco in around a week or two then cory after that. What do you think is a good time frame? I plan to do weekly water changes and I do have old media in the tank already (sponge, driftwood, plastic plants). By floating plants is that what you meant?

Gesp,

Thats the plan!

Thanks guys

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm plecos produce quite a lot of waste. IMO I would get a bit more filtration. Having double the amount of filtration than gallons is what most people here do. For example for a 20 gallon tank you'd want 40 gallons of filtration. For my 20 gallon I have 50 gallons of filtration. If you're going to get a pleco I would get another filter. Maybe add another Aquaclear 30? They're very small and two would look fine on a 20 gallon. I currently have one cycling that's eventually going to go on my 10 gallon.

I think you should add a bit more filtration. Get another filter set up on the tank, give it a week or two and then stock the cories. Although you'd be adding more fish by doing the cories first over the pleco it's a better choice IMO as even a small pleco produces quite a lot of waste. (I used to have an albino bristlenose pleco that did nothing but poop, even while it was eating it was pooping!)

Add the another filter, wait a week or two, add your cories, wait another 2 or 3 weeks and then you can add your pleco.

Be sure you're doing weekly water changes of 50%. Some people do less but larger water changes make sure that your Nitrates and other toxic chemicals are low and it helps to keep the tank "fresh" Byron wrote a LONG article here in a topic that advocated for larger water changes. Good luck!!
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Agree , but 99% sure they will be Trilineatus. http://www.tropicalfishforums.co.uk/...?topic=40121.0
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    ^^Have to agree there. I've quite often seen C. trilineatus mislabeled as C. julii Some places even label them as "Corydoras julii/trilineatus" simply because they can't discern which species they're selling, they believe that to be the true name of the fish, or because they don't really care about whether or not their customers know exactly what they're getting.

On http://gunpowderaquatics.net/ they have the fish labeled as Corydoras Julii/Trilineatus. The store has been used by many members here and I'm currently waiting on a shipment of Panda Cories but their mistake in labeling their Cory species is a common one.

1 Not allowed!
    The caution on the Bristlenose is well made. Being mainly vegetarian, like all vegetarian animals, they have to eat a lot more food than non-vegetarians to get the energy and nuitrition. That's why the largest dinosaurs in terms of sheer bulk size were the plant-eaters like Brontosaurus.

On the filtration, this is a bit of a confusing issue. More filtration is not actually that much better. As I explained in the article on water changes that someone referenced earlier, removing the waste from the aquarium into the filter means the waste is still there. The only way to "help" in this situation is to remove the waste from the system. Second point on filtration, is that no matter how many filters, there is only so much filtration that will occur. Talking nitrification, this will occur with no filter or with ten filters on the same tank. The bacteria will colonize at the level needed to deal with their "food," namely ammonia, then nitrite. Third, water clarity is usually all that can/might be improved by more filters, and this means the "clear" aspect, not the "clean." Removing suspended particulate matter makes the water clear, but not clean. If you have chemical filtration, that is different, and more filters will increazse this up to a point. Last concern is water movement. Adding all these extra filters is going to increase the water movement, and many fish do not appreciate this. The more water flow, the harder they have to work to stay in it, and that wears them down faster and can cause stress which then weakens their immune system.

Live plants would be the best thing to do to improve water quality. And by floating plants, I mean live plants that float. They are easiest to maintain, and they grow fastest which means they use more nutrients so they are "cleaning" the water faster.

To the cory, yes, what is sold as Corydoras julii is almost never the true species, but Corydoras trilineatus. This is one of four very similarly-patterned corys that are frequently confused and will often be seen in stores under incorrect names. Corydoras julii, C. leopardus, C. punctatus and C. trilineatus all share a large black blotch in the dorsal fin, a barred caudal fin, and a horizontal stripe along the body at the juncture of the dorsal and ventral lateral plates; the body is spotted. However, all these species are highly variable in their pattern, and the horizontal stripe may be absent in C. julii.

The C. julii species is quite rare in the hobby, since it occurs in rivers and areas that are generally not heavily-fished commercially and is therefore seldom exported; the few times it does appear it has probably been collected in the Rio Para which is regularly fished. The "Julii" cory most often seen in stores is more likely to be C. trilineatus. The true C. julii has a spotted pattern on the head and body, and the lateral stripe is either not present or extends only midway along the body. C. julii is also somewhat smaller and more compact-looking in size than C. trilineatus.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 09-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I've been doing some research on substrate and it looks like the two best options are Quikrete play sand and pool filter sand, can anyone help me decide on which one is best for cory's and what the pros and cons are of each?

I heard for Quikrete you have to wash it a lot and it gets vacuumed up easily, while pool filter might be a bit sharper, thoughts?

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm loving pool filter sand for it's structure (rounded grains).
    No Cory, No Glory !!