· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Something horrible has happened

0 Not allowed!
    Well, in the past week while feeding my 7 by 5 foot tropical pond, I noticed my 7 inch Blue Lobster hasn't been coming out. He's been in there for 10 months as of now and he's always got along well with everything and only comes out to eat. I thought that he must be shedding his skin under a large rock, since there are some plecos in there at a similar size. Even though the plecos aren't at all aggressive, there are still some pretty fin-nippy fish in there, and the only reason everything gets along is because of the pond size. He wouldn't have a good time if he just shed skin out in the open is my point. Back to the topic, today I got tired of the suspense and decided to look under all rocks and in all possible hiding areas. Nowhere to be seen. I have no idea as to how this happened! He's at the deeper area about 99% of the time and I've barely even seen him make it to the shallow. All I know is, my lobster is gone. This is the only pet I keep in a fish tank/pond that I've ever gotten kind of attached to and it was horrible to see him gone. I've even started hand feeding it... Since I probably won't be seeing it again, I would at least like to figure out what happened to it. Here are some possibilities:

(1) Climbed out. Now, I don't think this is very possible due to the fact that he didn't do it long ago. His only way to get out I think would be if he climbed one of the water pumps that lead out of the water. Thing is, it seems way too small in comparison with his size.

(2) Killed after shedding skin. This one is probably the least possible for one reason. If he was dead, I would have seen dead parts of it all around. Even more, it would take more than a few days for everything in there to consume it. I would also notice if the fish were eating it long ago.

(3) Eaten by an animal. Since the water is open to whatever visits, it is possible for something to get a free meal. I have 7 tame gouramis that would be an easy catch for almost any predator. I don't see the chances of something going underwater just for a lobster instead of 7 easy gourami catches, fry swimming around the top, and other top lurkers.

Any ideas? If it DID escape, are there chances of it returning? I am lost, and need advice.
    Last edited by Loller; 09-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.