· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Opinions on crate times...

0 Not allowed!
    Due to my SO having a very recent job change we are faced with the dilemma of what to do with the dog during the day. I live right in the middle of town and for whatever reason we are not permitted to install solid or chain link fences due to some sort of appearance ordinance in the back yard as it is attached to other people's property. We have a 6 month old APBT. I leave work at 8am and return around 3pm....the SO will be leaving at 7 and returning around 4:30pm. Needless to say he will have to be confined 7 hours per day. I am unable to return home to let him out, and the SO works long distances thus is unable to return home.

Here is what crate schedule we are planning:

12am-6am.....crate due to sleep
    6am-8am....out to roam the house/potty/eat/run with me on the treadmill
    8am-3pm....crate due to work
    3pm-12am....out to do whatever

I personally dont think it is terrible as he will only spend 7 waking hours in the crate and he has gobs of toys in there. Typically when he is out and about he lays on the couch and doesn't really move anyway. Given his age he should also be able to easily hold his bladder for the 7 hours as well.

We do have a 10x10 kennel which we do put him in with supervision and a dog tie out to use when playing in the yard as another ordinance where I live is dogs are not permitted to be off leash. Leaving him on the tie out is not an option....and I am not sure I trust the kennel as I have seen him climb on the dog house looking to escape in the past. He is also an avid digger when bored so I am fearful he may dig out. I have considered pouring a concrete pad inside the kennel and putting a cover on it to keep him contained but since the SOs job starts next week we don't have time to make those adjustments right now. In the long term we do plan to make the kennel more fail proof but for the meantime we need to figure out something to do with him. The SO has suggested we put a tie out inside the kennel so he cannot escape but can utilize the larger space...I am not totally against this as he does very well on a tie out and could not escape or get tangled.

Opinions?
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    How will the dog be out of the crate at 3pm if you're not back until 4.30pm?

Personally, I wouldn't keep a dog if I worked full time and had no one else to let them out or walk them, especially a high energy/power breed like a pitbull.

Can't you employ a professional dog walker?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    The SO is home at 4:30 I am home at 3. I live in a small town...there are no professional dog walkers. Most people here don't even walk their own dog lol
    20G High-Tech Planted|50G High-Tech Planted|50G Goldfish Tank|56G Column Low-Tech Planted

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Ahhh, right ok. Sorry.

Hmmm...it's still a long time (especially if the dog is crated at night as well) but may be doable if the dog gets enough exercise and mental stimulation. Is this a long term solution or a temporary one?

0 Not allowed!
    Temporary until we make the kennel escape proof. I plan to either pour a concrete pad inside the kennel or bury chicken wire under a layer of pea gravel topped with mulch. I think that the chicken wire/pea gravel/mulch idea is the route we will probably go as it is more easily reversible. This is to prevent digging out, we also need to increase the fence security with zip ties. I purchased several hundred the other day we just haven't had time to work on the fence. We will also be putting a top on the kennel which will provide shade and added security. I also have purchase a chain/pad lock for the gate to prevent him from being able to open the gate and prevent neighborhood children from tampering with it.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Would getting him some company be out of the question?

0 Not allowed!
    He should be fine with 7 hours in the crate during the day. Our kids are in their creates once or twice a week for about 6 hours in the winter time. We just compensate with some extra activity before and after.

We have crushed gravel in our dog run area and I like it better than the cement one we had in our other house we used to live in. The crushed rock is a lot easier to clean up as you can just hose it off without getting the rest of yard wet. If it starts to get a smell to it, we soak it with a vinegar / water mix followed by a good rinse using the hose.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    We have considered another dog in the future...but for now no. Deuce is a very sweet and loving dog but unusually stubborn even for a pit. I have owned various bully breeds and pits in the past and he takes the cake for stubborn. Once he is completely house broken, trained, and neutered then we will talk about another dog.

He is exercised twice daily, he uses the treadmill with me each morning for 2 miles. Then in the afternoon we either take him for a walk around town or put him on the tie out for a game of fetch. I take him to a dog trainer in a neighboring city on Saturdays for an hour session and then take him to a nearby lake for socialization/more exercise. He socializes with other dogs by being taken to Petsmart during the week and in dog class on Saturday. He also plays with a neighbors dog sporadically during the week. He gets people interaction when we have company or he encounters people away from home.

The dog trainer suggested we put him in a doggie day care...but the closest one to our home is over an hour away so that is out of the question. She did say that he could hold his bladder the 7 hours but was unsure how he would handle the separation as he has never been parted from us both more than a few hours. I have been preparing him for the crating experience by putting him in the crate several hours each day working up to the 7 hours. In good news he is a lazy dog and spends much of the day laying around chewing on something. I am however concerned that if we did put him in the kennel he would go into full blown separation anxiety and do anything possible to escape. The road near my home is busy so an escape could be lethal, also considering his breed he may find people who are not terribly friendly.

4x75Gs coming soon

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    He should be fine with 7 hours in the crate during the day. Our kids are in their creates once or twice a week for about 6 hours in the winter time.
    Your kids? Jeez...call social services somebody

0 Not allowed!
    lol, I much prefer Deuce in the house...and honestly even in the kennel he will be out there only when we are at work. Otherwise he is in the house or with us out and about. I have done research on how to escape proof a kennel like mine which is your pretty standard 12ga chain link.

I am going to use 2x6 treated wood to make a perimeter/barrier on the inside of the kennel and attach chicken wire to line the bottom frame of this to prevent digging. I will then cover the wire with about an inch or two of pea gravel and cover that with a layer of cypress mulch.

4x75Gs coming soon