· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Planted Tank Fishless Cycle Concern/Questions

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so have a few questions and concerns that I haven't been able to find anyway so I signed up and decide to post instead of lurking and trying to find the answers myself. Haven't had much luck with the way I've been phrasing my Google searches and what not..

I think my tank is going great, but not sure on the cycling process is going good, or on right track...

Here's the testing that I've been logging since I started the tank last week. Does everything seem on track for only being 7 days old? Trying to do it the right way...

8-25-13
    Amm Dosing: 1 Tblsp = 2ppm
    Initial Tank Tests and ammonia dosing started.
    PH Level: 7.6
    Amm: 4ppm
    NO2: 0ppm
    NO3: 0ppm

8-26-13 11:30am
    Ph Level: 7.8

8-27-13 7:45am
    PH Level: 8.2

8-28-13 12:30pm
    PH Level: 7.4
    AMM: 1ppm
    NO2: .25ppm
    Dosed to 3ppm amm

8-28-13 8:20pm
    Amm: 2ppm
    NO2: 1ppm
    NO3: 5ppm
    dosed to 4ppm amm

8-29-13 10:45am
    Amm: 2ppm
    NO2: 2ppm
    NO3: 10ppm

Amm dosed to 4ppm

8-30-13 10:30pm
    Did no Testing
    Planted
    Dosed CO2

8-31-13
    PH: 8.0
    Amm: 2ppm dosed to 4ppm
    NO2: 2ppm
    KH: 180ppm
    GH: 180ppm

9-1-13 7:45am
    Pre Weekly Water Change
    ph: 8.0
    amm: 3ppm
    NO2: 5ppm + (off chart)

After Water Change: 50%
    ph: 7.4
    amm: 1ppm
    NO2: 5ppm+
    NO3: 6ppm
    KH: 80
    GH: 70

I seem to be cycling great in my understanding. Plants have been in since friday and are doing great, no die off, no melting, color has come back to them fantastically, and my water has cleared up tremendously.

Was really cloudy, and a greenish/brown tint.. I do know my GH/KH is kinda high and way ph has been stable but high side... trying to control that with just water changes, and the addition of the mopani wood.

1 Not allowed!
    One mistake you're making is topping up the ammonia - do not do this, it can stall your cycle. ONLY re-dose ammonia when the reading drops to zero.

Don't test more than once a day (you'll be tempted to top up) - and always test at a similar time each day.

Don't do water changes during the cycle. Your plants will be fine.

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    PH fluctuates during cycling, don't worry about it and save your tests.

+1 to firefly, wait for the ammonia to drop before redosing.

0 Not allowed!
    You got some good advice so far

I would also suggest dosing your ammonia at 2ppm now. As you have just got your nitrite spike, you should only dose your ammonia back up to 1/2 of the level you started using. As already stated, test once a day and only dose ammonia up to 2ppm when the level is at 0ppm (but no more than once a day)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    You're into this method now, but just so you know and perhaps to help others, with live plants there is no need for any "cycling" as such. Once the tank is planted, you can add a few fish. Plants take up most of the ammonia/ammonium and do this faster than bacteria. Niotrite is not produced by the plants, so you don't have that issue. Some bacteria will get past the plants to bacteria and continue, but you willnot be able to detect either ammonia or nitrite using our aquarium test kits. Nitrates will be correspondingly low so that problem is also avoided.

This planted method is much simpler, safe for fish, and allows you to get going faster. You can change over, and if you decide to, do major water changes to get rid of the artificial ammonia. And I would certainly be careful about adding any ammonia at this stage with plants in the tank, as ammonia is toxic to plants as well as fish in high levels. And to bacteria for that matter.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    There are benefits to both systems. The benefit for me to the fishless cycle was that it allows you to stock everything at once. Arguably less of a disease risk compared to adding a few fish from the LFS every week or two. Depends on your set-up.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

~ 350 Litre Tank Journal ~ ~ 30 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    +1 to the above

I have always liked completing a fishless cycle in all of my planted set-ups as that seamed easier to me as well as having less of a risk to something going wrong. You can do a set-up closer to the walsted method, that works as well. Just my personal preference
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks all for the help. I did a 60% change today, ammonia came out to 0ppm and nitrItes are readable at like 1.5ppm nitrAtes are reading 5ppm. Also while I was out today, I picked up another piece of mopani, and got a good deal on Staurogyne Repens, and got them planted.. IMAG0531 (1024x612).jpg