· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Need help stocking my 55 gallon aquarium...

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 55 gallon aquarium with a 200 watt heater, Tetra Whisper EX70 filter, and airstone in the middle. I want to make it a community tank; I want to have 10 zebra danio and 10 of some type of tetra as schooling fish; 6 cory cats as bottom dwellers, and; maybe a red tailed shark as a center fish. Is this an OK community? Can my filter handle it? My tank is just finishing cycle, so which fish do I add first and how many do I add at a time? Also, how should the aquarium be planted, I have enough decor, and I'm thinking just lightly planted background, and maybe a couple of foreground plants. I just ordered 2 15 watt Life-Glo Fluorescent bulbs so that I can have live plants.

0 Not allowed!
    Zebra danio and tetra don't mix all that well. Zebra are zippy and like their water a little cooler and harder than the tetra and some cory. The cory do best on sand, ok on fine gravel and not that well on coarse gravel.
    Red tailed sharks are a popular choice with beginners but they tend to get grumpy and territorial when they age.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What about 6 Black Kuhli Loaches instead of the cory cats, 10 Jumbo Neon Tetra, and 10 Rasbora Heteromorpha Danio and the Black Tailed Shark? Are they good together?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    OK, well I just added 4 Rasbora Heteromorpha, gonna get 6 more later, so whatever the suggestions are for the rest please make sure they go along with this species.

0 Not allowed!
    Rasbora heteromorpha really enjoys a planted tank with soft water and some leafs on the bottom

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by acetune View Post
    OK, well I just added 4 Rasbora Heteromorpha, gonna get 6 more later, so whatever the suggestions are for the rest please make sure they go along with this species.
    Great choice, one of my all time favorite fish.

They go great with any of the tetra family because of similer water conditions.

You could get any of the following that would work with Harley's, Cardinal, Lemon, Rosy, Von rio, Glowlights, or Black neons. Always get at least 10.

Some of the barbs like Cherry, Black ruby and Five banded would go well with them.

Cory's were already mentioned for the bottom of the tank, most any of them do well as long as you get 6-8 or more.

Just some idea's to start with.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with what has been suggested. There are many other suitable tetra too. I would really forget about the shark though, this can be risky and it limits other substrate fish (and sometimes upper fish get pestered too, depending upon the individual). Corys will be out and about and provide some lower interest.

You asked about plants. If you have two 15w T8 tubes, I assume these are 24-inch tubes, over the 4-foot 55g? With the Life Glo this will be OK for low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss; crypts would likely work but these are not easy plants. Pygmy chain sword might manage. About the only stem plant I would try with low light is Brazilian Pennywort; this can be grown planted in the substrate for your background, or allowed to float for a nice effect.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass 
    TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Byron's advice on the shark.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If no shark then what should I get for a centerpiece fish? And the lights are 18 inches.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by acetune View Post
    If no shark then what should I get for a centerpiece fish? And the lights are 18 inches.
    On the lights, previous advice stands.

Centrepiece fish are best with upper-water fish, but have to be chosen very carefully. Most people mean "larger" when they use this term, but larger fish tend to bring issues with them. I have two 4-foot and one 5-foot tank, and all are stocked with smaller fish. This provides a more active community, and usually avoids the problems that adding a larger fish will bring. My only "centrepiece" fish would likely be the male Bolivian Ram in the 5-foot tank, at 4 inches. The Botia kubotai loaches in the 90g reach 4-5 inches eventually, and I have a 4-inch pleco in that tank which I never see except at feeding time.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]