· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Best Floating plant for 10 gallon shrimp tank

0 Not allowed!
    Title says it all, i'm looking for a plant on the surface, not around the tank like hornwart or susswassertang. I'm not going to get duckweed, I've heard too many bad things about it. I'm looking at salvinia minima, dwarf water lettuce, azolla, red floaters, and amazon frogbit. I've done research on all of them, and formed some opinions, but wanted to know what everyone on here thought. Thanks!
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    What kind of filter are u running? All hobs are potential floater killer. But i love my frogbit. Heck if you want some ill ship u some for just postage lol.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I've had frogbit both in a pond and a 65 gallon and can certainly say that when given room to grow it gets very big. I've had plants 3 inches across with 3 ft roots.

Dwarf water lettuce is much smaller than the "normal" lettuce but again, I still think too big. Duckweed is simply invasive. I would pick from the Azolla, salvinia or red root floater, of which my favorite is clearly the red root floater. Short roots don't mess with view and are an attractive pink, leaves are, well, red and velvety and don't grow very big. Also grows fairly slow for a floater and will not require huge amounts of pruning to control.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    What kind of filter are u running?
    Just 2 sponge filters in my ten gallon. I might have to take you up on the frogbit offer...if I can't find any red root floaters, I probably will. Does azolla have roots?
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    From my understanding rrf need very high light, co2, and lots of nutrients to actually be red. I think they will survive under normal light and some nutrients but to bring out the color they need higher tech setups.

0 Not allowed!
    Most any floating plant will work here. Water Sprite, Water Lettuce (BTW, there is no true "dwarf" WL species, it is the same plant (Pistia stratiotes) but will remain "dwarf" under less optimum conditions), and Frogbit; these are individual plants. Then there are the mini floaters like Salvinia (and duckweed, etc). And then there are stem plants that do well floating; my favourite here is Brazilian Pennywort. The leaves lay on the surface and roots grow down from each node for a very nice effect.

Byron.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @genocidex I thought as much...I think it's the same deal with rotala indica and other red aquarium plants. I was just hoping it might show a little pink perhaps. Does azolla have roots?
    @Byron, If all the plants will work, then I guess it's up to me lol
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 09-01-2013 at 10:36 PM.
    Journals Here

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    Also something to consider would be expense. If these are the first floaters you have taken care of, you might want to go cheapest and work up from there. I think if you keep nutrients higher with the frogbit the roots would stay smaller if thats a concern.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by madagascariensis View Post
    I've had frogbit both in a pond and a 65 gallon and can certainly say that when given room to grow it gets very big. I've had plants 3 inches across with 3 ft roots.
    On the other hand, in my daughter's shrimp tank they stayd about 2 inches across.

For scale reasons I'd go for Salvinia natans I think.