· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Lighting to high?

0 Not allowed!
    So finally after days of research and issues with stores I got the Quikrete sand for my fish tank. Another thing I got for my 20 gallon was new 60 watt Sylvannia bulbs. They're 6500k and have been recommended to me by many people. My question is did I get the wrong wattage? The guy who recommended them to me had a 23 watt on his 20 gallon and his tank was heavily planted.. My tank only has two glass cups with crypts and val in them. Am I going to see an influx in algae and diatoms? Will this new high wattage, higher kelvin bulb melt my plants??
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Thats some bright lighting for a 20g.... is it long or high? What type of bulb is it?
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Its a 20 gallon high. The bulb is a Sylvannia mico-mini Daylight CFl 60w 6500k. I only plan on using one 60 watt bulb. Do you think this'll cause problems for me?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Oh now that makes more sense. You arent using a 60w bulb, its a 60w equivalent bulb. It means it puts out the same lumens as an old incandescent bulb 60w. Those are 23w, and would give you a low light tank. You should be fine, just dont expect a high growth rate.
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright thank you. I don't plan on making it a planted tank. I just needed a bulb that could sustain and grow low light plants. Thank you so much for the help. With all the work I'm putting into the 20 gallon I might just put up a new journal. Hey while I'm here do you think Bandit Cories would do well in a 20 gallon? I've read they will. Atm the only stock is a Microglanis iheringi, a Blue Gourami, and 6 Platies. I think with the Cories I should be fully stocked.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not recommend corys here, given the existing stocking. BTW, a Blue Gourami needs more space, this is not a small fish at 5 inches, and it may reach 6 inches.

To the lighting, do you only have the one socket? Two 10w CFL bulbs would be better if you can.

Byron.

1 Not allowed!
    I think a blue gourami is potentially too big for a 20G, cories or no cories.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have 2 sockets available. However the 60 watt looks alright and actually puts out less light than you'd think. Also I've already purchased 4 of the 60watt bulbs and unfortunately my dad threw out the receipt -_- Anyways, don't worry about my Blue Gourami. She's 7 years old and reaching the end of her life. She was the first fish I got when I was 10 years old. I made the mistake of thinking she was a dwarf gourami and I kept her in a 10 gallon for almost 6 years. She's beyond stunted. She's stuck at around 4 inches. I was going to upgrade her to my 55 but the eheim I had broke halfway through cycling it, that's what you get when you rely on a 25+ year old dinosaur filter, and I wasn't able to get a replacement. She's nearing the end of her life. She's slowly becoming more inactive and she doesn't even have the classic Blue Gourami spots anymore. To be honest its surprising she's this old.

Any who I decided to go with a small school of 6 Panda Cories. I don't think I'm going to get them immediately though. I'm going to watch my gourami's health and see how things go. She's blind in both eyes however she still eats and slowly glides around the tank. Also I don't believe I'm going to keep all or any of the Platies I have. I might move them all to their own 10 gallon. My sister really wants a tank so maybe I'll set one up and give them to her.