· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Thickness of acrylic needed

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone know how thick a sheet of acryllic need to be to support 70h x 20w inch of water when inserted into a rigid steel frame?
    Total water volume around 10 000 gallon.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    not sure about the steel frame, but this calculator gives you the needed width of acrylic for any build.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. But the calculator can not calculate anything higher than 30 inches.

The problem with most calculators is that they calculate necessary thickness needed for one single front. Not the the necessary thickness when you construct a tank out of steel and concrete with smaller acrylic inlays.

0 Not allowed!
    Hmm, how many inlays are we talking about and what is the overall dimensions that we're looking at?

Have you tried consulting with an acrylic aquarium manufacturer?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    No I have not talked to an Acryllic Manfacturer. I do not want to do that until I am actually ready to make an order.

The tank. Will be 20 ft by 10 ft by 7 ft and construction is ongoing. I am doing concrete and steel work now. However i expect it to be two years before i finish it. However since a tank like that has to be planned all the way from the fundation. I am currently building the house it will be in and the walls etc are being re-enforced right from day one to cope with the weight and pressure. If i decide against finish it I will just have a room with extra strong walls. Trying to re-enforce later on the other hand wouldbe a nightmare.

The plan is to have a total of 7 x 20 inch wide viewing panels in the center of tank. Giving it a little mystic as fish can swim out to the sides of the tank. That is I can afford it. I might end up having to limit to viewing area.

0 Not allowed!
    So wait, let me understand this, is this going to be donut shaped? Well, not the shape, but there will be a void in the center and you can view the fishes from there? The 4 sides will be concrete?
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    That would be cool but no. The back and sides will be cement. the front will be steel, cement and acryllic. the viewing area will not cover the entire width of the front.

front.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Lol, was about to say, that would've been cool.

Will the longer side be the viewing side or the shorter one? From your drawing, it seems like the 10 ft side will be where the acrylic slides will go.

Will the top be completely open?

0 Not allowed!
    The panels will go in the 20 ft side. About 10-11 ft should be covered in panels. I am thinking 50 cm wide panels. Each supported by heavy duty steel beams.

I ignored scale when i did the drawing. It is also supposed to be 6 panels, not 3 as shown in the drawing. It was just to show the concept.