· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default A little fighting in the tank

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 20G tank that had a female blue Ram, I recently added a smaller male Ram to go with her . She has been chasing him most of the time for the past few days and is very defensive of her area of the tank. Is this anything strange? I thought the two Rams would swim together, not fight.
    RIP Shark Bait, my Red Tail Shark :(

1 Not allowed!
    This could be a problem if you keep them together much longer. The new fish may well end up dead.

Fish in this species must select their own mate. A male and female that do this will form what we term a bond, and in most cases it is life-long. If any two fish are put together in the tank and they do not bond, varous things can occur. I had this happen with the closely-related Bolivian Ram. They spawned four times before the male hounded the female until she died. This happened before I understood the bonding issue.

It is difficult to say without seeing the fish "live" or in a video if this "chasing" you mention is just initiating something or may be likely to cause serious trouble. The latter is more often the case, unfortunately. And while this is going on, even if no physical contact occurs, the new fish is being severely stressed and weakened.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    She will probably chase him until he dies I had nothing but probs with Rams, in the end I bought 8 and 2 chased the other 6 to death leaving the paired 2. Others may have different experiences hopefully.

Edit, If the male has lost his colour he is living in fear! If not he is flattered :-)
    Last edited by scotchbonneteater; 08-31-2013 at 11:42 PM.
    1) 140 gallon with 70 gallon sump. 1 German Rams, 50 neons , 16 Schwarzi cory, 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 Hengals Rasbora, 2 Bulldog Plecs, 4x dwarf Gouramis, 12 golden barbs, 12 cherry barbs,8 Yellow Boesemani Rainbows and loads of assasin snails. Sump has central heating pump. water flows through a 4 layer foam and 1- 2kg of bio, also has a 18"x 18" algae scrubber that works well. fluval U2 to transfer to my QT when needed