· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default General Catfish Diet?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys as I'm sure some of you've seen I got my Bumblebee Catfish a few days ago. He's doing well and is very active immediately after the lights go out. My question is could anyone recommend some catfish foods or carnivore foods that are of good quality. Do to money constraints I can't go for more expensive foods like cooked fish, shrimp, or beefheart so some good pellet food recommendations would be fantastic. Atm he's being feed tropical fish sinking pellets and frozen bloodworms. I feed him about an hour after the lights go out but I haven't witnessed him eating. Hopefully he is. The tank is barebottom and the hiding spot he uses is visible to me so I can see he's alright but I can't tell if he's put on weight or if he's eating so I'd like to get a wider range of good quality foods.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    There's 7 different kinds of bublebee catfish. I'm assuming here you have the south american, Microglanis iheringi?
    I'd say get it to take bloodworm first. Fish like these are difficult to wean onto dried foods but you could try a shrimp pellet I suppose.

Money constraints... I must admit I know 0 about grocery prices in your country but in some countries you can get frozen flaked fish for pies. Pretty much anywhere in the western world you can get unbreaded frozen fish fillets that are not treated with anything. Over here I can get 5 tilapia fillets for 4 euros which is about the same price as a small pot of standard fish food. Thaw one enough so you can chop it into bite sized pieces, refreeze and store in a ziplock baggie. MAke a meal out of the rest.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Fresh produce is kind of pricey. I actually buy my fish supplies myself most of the time using my own money. I don't have the funds to purchase fresh fish. Atm he seems to be doing well with frozen bloodworm. He's very active when the lights go out and although he isn't plump and fat he isn't skinny either. Btw he is a Microglanis iheringi. I could've sworn I specified that. Thank you, you're always a great help with fish diet.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    I like omega one sinking catfish pellets my striped raph love them. If youan get him to take pellets look into getting vita chem. Its fishy vitamins. I cant say for sure with my raph (since i never see it) but my other fish improved since feeding with it.

On the other hand talapia or pollick should be cheaper than fish food. I can get 4 pounds of frozen raw un breaded fillets for 11$. That 4# should last you a while
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post

On the other hand talapia or pollick should be cheaper than fish food. I can get 4 pounds of frozen raw un breaded fillets for 11$. That 4# should last you a while
    I'd say so but if Gesp doesn't have $11 then it's not a good option.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Currently no money in my wallet at all XD I'm working on a few art commissions for people. So I might have something in a few weeks. Atm he seems to be doing quite well with pellet food. Thanks you guys for the suggestions. I'd like to keep him on pellet food, simply because I prefer it. Next time I get paid I'll be going out to my LFS to pick up some more varied pellet foods. I think I'm going to go with Hikari carnivore pellets(if they're small enough). I'll browse around the store, see if they have the foods I've been recommended and check the ingredients for each one to make sure I'm getting my catfish the best food.

Atm he's eating frozen bloodworms, frozen brine shrimp, Aqueon Bottom Feeder Tablets, Aqueon Tropical Granules, and I have some New Era Central/South American Soft Cichlid pellets that I might try tonight. Hopefully he's eating.

I'm about to convert the tank from bare bottom to sand so in the process of removing the fish from the tank I guess I'll get to see if my catfish has put on any weight.