· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What Do I Do? Firemouths Are Spawning!

0 Not allowed!
    I thought I had a male/female pair of Firemouth Cichlids and today they confirmed it. I noticed that they were digging a pit in the and in front of a large terra cotta pot. I did a search and learned that this is pretty common spawning behavior. I continued watching the pair go in and out of the terra cotta pot and sure enough there are eggs. I have mixed feelings on this. Iím excited because aside from guppies whoíll breed for just about anyone, Iíve never had a pair of fish spawn before. Iím not so excited because there is no way I can keep them all. I donít have the room to set up extra tanks.

I have some questions so I can figure out what my options are.

1- How long does the egg laying portion of spawning usually last. Itís been a while (at least 3-4 hours) since Iíve seen her laying eggs. Iím thinking she might be done.

2- How long before the eggs hatch?

3- How protective will the parents be? So far Iíve seen them chase the other fish, but nothing serious. They really do NOT like the pleco. They really flare their throats at him and I did see the male nip at his side a couple of times. The pleco is a good 9-10Ē. Do you think I need to be concerned about them hurting/killing him?

4- I have the following fish in the tank; yoyo loaches, dojo loaches, sailfin pleco, beunos aires tetras, and 1 tiger barb which Iím looking to rehome soon. Assuming that at least some of the eggs hatch, will any of these fish eat the fry? I hate saying this, but I donít mind if they do. As I said I donít have room to keep them all. Some nature will need to take place.

5- If the eggs do not hatch, will I need to take the terra cotta pot out to scrape them off to prevent the fish getting sick?

6- Aside from the obvious of separating the parents, what do you do to prevent unwanted babies?

Any other tips and/or advice is welcome! I'll attach some photos too.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    beautiful fish. I would worry more about the pleco eating the eggs more than anything . also read on here somewhere that tb's will eat eggs to if they can get to them. sorry I can't help any more than that.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the info. The eggs have hatched and are in the wiggler stage right now. They started hatching a couple of days ago so they should start free swimming soon from what I've read. The parents are doing a great job so far protecting their babies. It's really fascinating to watch. Here are some new pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images