· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Help me to chose the right media

0 Not allowed!
    Hi every one,
    I just received my new (eheim professional 3 2080 "1200XL"), and i am now buying the media for it.
    Please take a look at picture 1 which i got it from some website, you can find in the first tray from down it filled with "Ehifimech", but what i bought is "Eheim Mech", is there any different??

I already have another filter which is (eheim classic 600), should i go withe Eheim recomaned media as picture 2 show, or should i use another media?

Last thing please, i have another 2 (AA Internal filter on the led of my aquarium) its "1200 L/H", it has also BIO media setup, which media should i use in both of them?

My tank Specs:

- The size of it is approx (150 L x 55 H x 45 W) and its almost 90 Gallon.
    - I will add some driftwood's and real plants with lots of Neon Tettra fishes +/- 150, and with some other small one.

Picture 1: (eheim professional 3 2080 "1200XL)
    rgce.jpg

Picture 2: (eheim classic 600)
    2gsw.jpg

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't know anything about the Eheim filters, but I checked your tank on aqadvisor, and 150 neon tetras will be overstocking the tank by quite a bit. With only neons, you could put about 115 in, if you want other species along with the neons you'd need to drop that number
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

2 Not allowed!
    This is a case where calculators like AqAdvisor are inaccurate or misleading. I guess it is impossible to program in all the variables. In a 90g, you can easily have 200 or more small characins like neon, that is fine. A tank of 150 that is planted will look beautiful indeed.

To the filter, you are fine. If you are buying media, rather than buy the expensive Eheim brand, you can use the Fluval which is about 1/3 the cost. I have three Eheim Pro canisters and a Rena XP3, and I use Fluval media in all of them because of the cost difference. The ceramic disks that go in the one basket, then the "biological" media in the other basket (or two, depending on filter size).

Byron.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by phin9009 View Post
    I don't know anything about the Eheim filters, but I checked your tank on aqadvisor, and 150 neon tetras will be overstocking the tank by quite a bit. With only neons, you could put about 115 in, if you want other species along with the neons you'd need to drop that number
    Thanks for your advice..

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    This is a case where calculators like AqAdvisor are inaccurate or misleading. I guess it is impossible to program in all the variables. In a 90g, you can easily have 200 or more small characins like neon, that is fine. A tank of 150 that is planted will look beautiful indeed.

To the filter, you are fine. If you are buying media, rather than buy the expensive Eheim brand, you can use the Fluval which is about 1/3 the cost. I have three Eheim Pro canisters and a Rena XP3, and I use Fluval media in all of them because of the cost difference. The ceramic disks that go in the one basket, then the "biological" media in the other basket (or two, depending on filter size).

Byron.
    Thank Byron, i also dont trust AqAdvisor with my full respect to it.
    And thank you very much for the advice about the other kind of media, i will consider it when i will fill my other filters.
    But i just want to understand one thing please, (((( is there any different between "eheim ehfimech" and eheim mech" ))))???

Thank you again,

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post
    Thanks for your advice..

Thank Byron, i also dont trust AqAdvisor with my full respect to it.
    And thank you very much for the advice about the other kind of media, i will consider it when i will fill my other filters.
    But i just want to understand one thing please, (((( is there any different between "eheim ehfimech" and eheim mech" ))))???

Thank you again,
    I don't believe so. These names both refer to the ceramic disks. And the bio media is Efisubstrat. There are only the two types, at least in my Eheims. Fluval call the Efisubstrat BioMax. I've forgotten what they call the ceramic disks. B.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I don't believe so. These names both refer to the ceramic disks. And the bio media is Efisubstrat. There are only the two types, at least in my Eheims. Fluval call the Efisubstrat BioMax. I've forgotten what they call the ceramic disks. B.
    Sound good, i understand now.
    I have last question please, check out this link (here)
    Is this needed to my filtration? Should i use it instead of the (MECH)??

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by rubema View Post
    Sound good, i understand now.
    I have last question please, check out this link (here)
    Is this needed to my filtration? Should i use it instead of the (MECH)??
    That is a new product to me, I have never seen it before. Perhaps other members who have used it can attest to its usefulness in addition to the other media and pads. Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. My Eheims on my tanks have been running since 1997 without this.

Are you intending live plants? With neons, this is wise. And with plants, biological filtration is not something we want to encourage, as the plants do it better. Mechanical is all we need, and the media and pads do this quite well.

Byron.

1 Not allowed!
    Fluval call the Efisubstrat BioMax. I've forgotten what they call the ceramic disks.B.
    Fluval calls their equivalent to Eheimmech "prefilter." It's the same thing as Eheim mech. The box I have are hard surface ceramic disks or cylinders. Their surface is not as porous as the biomax. It's designed to be mechanical filter media.
    Last edited by Taurus; 08-30-2013 at 03:51 PM.
    When in doubt, do a water change.

"This ain't rocket science!"

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Fluval calls their equivalent to Eheimmech "prefilter." It's the same thing as Eheim mech. The box I have are hard surface ceramic disks or cylinders. Their surface is not as porous as the biomax. It's designed to be mechanical filter media.
    Thank you indeed for coming to the aid of my advancing years.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    I've always had great luck using as much biological filter media that I could use in my filters.

I can't offer much more advice than that as I am not too familiar with Eheim filter never using one myself.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]