· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

User Tag List

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Default best biological filter for a 50 gallon tank

0 Not allowed!
    what kind of filteration system is the best for a 50 gallon freshwater tank? i was considering to get a large number of fish and i want my water to be crystal clear and in perfect condition to manage them all.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Happy Holiday to you! - Boundava   Merry Christmas to You and Yours! - discusluv   Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Win or lose, here's to good games tomorrow ;-) - steeler58   Cheers! - Slaphppy7   

1 Not allowed!
    A canister filter holds the most filter media. But be careful not to overstock your tank. I'm not going to recommend any one brand of canister filter, but Eheim, API FilStar, and Fluval all make good canister filters.

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura   

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by canucks1 View Post
    what kind of filteration system is the best for a 50 gallon freshwater tank? i was considering to get a large number of fish and i want my water to be crystal clear and in perfect condition to manage them all.
    You could do two Rena XP-M canisters (each up to 75 gal), two Aquaclear 70 (AC70, each up to 70 gal), or a Rena XP-M canister and an AC70. These combos would be good for a heavily stocked 50 gal, with 3 times the filtration. Fill them with the sponges that come with the filters in the bottom and the rest of the available space with bio media.

For a properly stocked tank, you want to have at least 2 times your tank size in filtration. For heavy stocking or heavy bio-load fish, 3 times is even better. I have 3 times on my 75 gal, with two AC110s and a lightly stocked tank. It gives me piece of mind and if I want to add more fish, I don't have to change my filtration. Good filtration and consistent, large water changes are key if you have a heavily stocked tank.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP
    Dual 29 gals - Diamond Tetras. Harlequin Rasboras, Bloodfin Tetras
    10 Gal - Mr. Betta's Fishy Paradise

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Yes i currently have a aqueon 06117 quietflow 50 power filter and i was afraid that changing the filter media would ruin my cycle. Also i do not think this filter will be very effective for the peacock eels that i plan to have as i heard they require very clean water

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Welcome back! - Slaphppy7   

0 Not allowed!
    There is no need to change your filter media - doing that WILL lose your cycle. Hopefully you are aware that in order to clean media, you just swish it in tank water rather than replace it with new stuff.
    All you need to do is get more filtration (more biological media) to grow the extra bacteria.

In general, you should have a minimum of double filtration for the tank size(as gronlaura pointed out above), therefore, filtration for 100gal - more if overstocked.

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    There is no need to change your filter media - doing that WILL lose your cycle. Hopefully you are aware that in order to clean media, you just swish it in tank water rather than replace it with new stuff.
    All you need to do is get more filtration (more biological media) to grow the extra bacteria.

In general, you should have a minimum of double filtration for the tank size(as gronlaura pointed out above), therefore, filtration for 100gal - more if overstocked.
    So would i need to add more biological media into the filter? what media products do you recommend for this? and also will power filters do the job or will i need something more advanced such as a canister filter?

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

Great Idea THANK YOU - eltylT   Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7   Merry Christmas - AmazonJoe   Merry Christmas! - Boundava   Happy Holidays to you!  See you on the 6th! - Boundava   

0 Not allowed!
    So would i need to add more biological media into the filter? what media products do you recommend for this? and also will power filters do the job or will i need something more advanced such as a canister filter?
    I don't think you can add biomedia to your Aqueon filter, can you? It uses a filter cartridge, which will not be adequate for the tank stocking you are thinking of.

I recommend Fluval Bio Max ceramic rings, they come loose in a 17.63 oz box. I would get 2 boxes. You can put them in a clean nylon stocking or get mesh biomedia bags at petsmart. They work in the AquaClear filters or any canister filter. I would leave your current filter on the tank and add a second filter. A canister filter would be best (the Rena XP-M is a good choice) and fill it with the Fluval biomax (the sponges it comes with go in first). Then, in 5-6 weeks, I would look at replacing the Aqueon filter with either another canister or a hang on back filter, like the AC70 as recommended in my previous post.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 08-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.
    75 gal - Smudge Spot Cories, Silvertip & Pristella Tetras, Scissortail & Red Tail Rasboras, Pearl Gourami, Black Kuhli Loaches, Whiptail Cats, Wild Caught BNP

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199   Merry xmas! - ScottishFish   Merry Christmas - mommy1   Happy New Year - mommy1   Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1   

0 Not allowed!
    good advice above, but if you want the most biological filtration possible, then look into a wet/dry sump. super easy to build and totally customizable to your needs. the added water volume of a sump also dilutes ammonia, nitrate, etc.
    your friendly neighbourhood arowanaman!

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    how about sponge filters? they are very cheap and i heard they provide good biological filteration

Awards Showcase

Latest gifts & ribbons:

0 Not allowed!
    how about sponge filters? they are very cheap and i heard they provide good biological filteration
    Not for a heavily stocked tank.