· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What's wrong with my fish

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have a 20g long tank with 6 cherry barbs and 2 black skirt tetras. For the last 2 weeks or so they've been extremely inactive whereas before they were always full of energy. All they do all day is hover above the sand in the back of the tank. They barely eat anything anymore when before feeding time was a frenzy. I feed them once a day, Monday Wednesday and Friday are bloodworms and the other days are veggie flakes. I do a 20g water change every 2 weeks. The last time I tested the water , pH was 6.8, kH 85ppm, and gH 85 ppm. The only possible change I can think of is that a little bit before I noticed their sluggish behavior, my 2 golden snails died within a week of each other. Perhaps they were cleaning up something that's becoming harmful to the fish?

Awards Showcase

A lovely red rose for you to enjoy ... - mermaidwannabe for the help - smaug Happy Father's Day! - Aminax awesome tank in TOTM - Lady Hobbs Good guess! - Lab_Rat 
    To match your Super speed LOL - 850R Cool contest! - Wild Turkey Great shrimp advice - Wild Turkey You have the patience of a rock - Aeonflame Happy 5th Anniversary - Aminax 
    Thanks! - Scrup hmm i dont this its the right species... but merry xmas XD - genocidex Merry Christmas! I blub you! - Aminax I love following your informative and well designed threads. I hope these loaches get huge for you! - Sandz Happy 30th birthday! - Aminax 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Thanks for you help! Cheers! - koaladarshana Happy Birthday Bud. Cheers! - Strider199 Merry Xmas! Ill drink to that! - Sandz Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - Brhino 

1 Not allowed!
    You should check your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate too, see if any of that is out of whack. I see some issues with school size (just two black skirt tetras is going to lead to a bad case of nipping) but that shouldn't cause the sluggishness. The only other thing I can think is that blood worms are generally recommended as an occasional treat... 3 times a week is probably a bit much. Again, though, don't think that would cause the sluggishness.
    300 gallon mega tank: build in progress
    75 gallon community tank: tetras, danios, corys, platies, otos, pearl gouramis, bristlenose pleco, assassin snails, red cherry shrimp, bamboo shrimp
    70 gallon growout tank: clown loaches, sailfin pleco
    60 gallon goldfish tank: fancy goldfish
    29 gallon frog tank: 1 bullfrog
    10 gallon and 5.5 gallon betta tanks: 1 male betta each, sometimes snails

Awards Showcase

Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 
    We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny 

1 Not allowed!
    How long has this tank been set up and with these fish? Did you cycle the tank? Do you mean 20g or 20% change every two weeks. If it's 20% every two weeks it's possible the tank has a buildup of nitrate and the fish are suffering from nitrate poisoning.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I concur with previous members. You need to be doing more water changes. No less than once a week, and 30-50% of the tank volume each time. I would certainly do a major water change now (if you haven't already), half the tank, and I would expect to see the fish more active following that. If this is ammonia, nitrite or nitrate, which numbers we need as another asked, this will help.

Also, when you answer the asked questions, also let us know if any substances are going in the water; and which water conditioner.

Byron.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'll stop feeding them the bloodworms as often, just once a week from now on. I have never witnessed any nipping between the tetras and barbs. The closest they get to aggression is stealing food from each other during feeding time, which doesn't even happen anymore since feeding has turned into a nonevent. Everyone's fins and scales seem perfectly fine; it's just the sluggishness I'm concerned about.

The tank has been set up for at least half a year and I had cycled it before adding any fish. I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks, must have been a typo in the OP. I was led to believe this is the correct percentage, no? If it is nitrate poisoning, will the fish recover as long as I correct the nitrate level?

I'll start doing weekly changes and run those chemical tests for you. The only stuff I put in the water are API pH UP and stabilizer. I put Amquel Plus ammonia detoxifier in the new water, which is actually already run through my RO/DI machine, so the detoxifier is really just an extra safety measure.

1 Not allowed!
    don't add those chemicals.
    especially ph up.
    you should be dong 30% water changes a week! and thats a minimum. 50 is recomended
    do a 50% water change now and another one tomorrow and things should be normal.
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

1 Not allowed!
    [INDENT] also don't use the ammonia remover.
    if you have ammonia in your tap then just use prime as a conditioner
    i hear some people say, "i kept a goldfish in a bowl and it lived for a year."
    they don't know how lucky they were and all goldfish live at least 15 years in proper conditions.
    that is equal to saying my human lived in his closet for 5 years!

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by vafa View Post
    [INDENT] also don't use the ammonia remover.
    if you have ammonia in your tap then just use prime as a conditioner
    Are you using all RO/DI water? Any Tap water? With RO/DI water you need to adjust your hardness and buffer your pH. RO/DI water has a pH of 6.5 and hardness of 0. And you shouldn't use any water conditioner at all if using all RO/di water.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    RO/DI, That was what I was using the pH UP for, it said on the bottle that is also raises the hardness so I was using that because the store didn't have anything solely for raising kh or gh.

I just did some tests. Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate is about 40-60ppm.
    Last edited by ArrowCrab; 08-29-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Awards Showcase

Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 
    Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowCrab View Post
    RO/DI, That was what I was using the pH UP for, it said on the bottle that is also raises the hardness so I was using that because the store didn't have anything solely for raising kh or gh.

I just did some tests. Ammonia and nitrite 0, Nitrate is about 40-60ppm.
    Nitrates are way too high, should never go over 20 ppm. You need to do a huge water change now. This is why your fish are not doing well. I would change out 75% of your water. Or you can change 50%, then another 50%. Either way it would get your nitrates to 10-15 ppm. You should be doing weekly 30-40% water changes to keep those nitrates below 20 ppm.

Your pH is okay at 6.8 and even at the 6.5 of RO/DI water, your should be okay for your fish. You could bring your hardness up a bit to maybe 5-6 for those species. You use Seachem Replenish to do that. You can get it online at www.drsfostersmith.com in a 500ml bottle. If you want to use the Replenish, send me a private message and I can help with the math ( I use RO/DI water, also).
    Last edited by gronlaura; 08-29-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"