· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default What is going on with my 55g cichlid tank??

0 Not allowed!
    Here is my tank info:
    Size = 55g
    Filters = 2X Penguin 350's
    Temp = 80F
    Hardness = 140-160
    pH = 7.4-7.6

I cycled the tank 5 months ago with community fish. The tank was 100% stocked. Once all of the readings were good, I took out all of the community fish and put in one electric blue cichlid and pleco. I left it this way for a week and made sure the levels were good... they all were. I then added 6 more (2" and smaller) cichlids and here is what happened:

1 DAY AFTER ADDING 6 NEW CICHLIDS
    Ammonia = 0.50 ppm
    Nitrite = 0 ppm
    Nitrate = 5 ppm

1 WEEK LATER (started to notice that my electric blue cichlid was breathing heavily and swimming abnormally)
    Ammonia = 0.25 ppm
    Nitrite = 5+ ppm
    Nitrate = 80 ppm

At this point I immediately did a 40% water change and also noticed that my filters were slowing down a bit. At this point on one (only one) of the filter, I squeezed out the filter media (a sponge) into a bucket of tank water. I continued to rinse the media and squeeze it out into a bucket of tank water.

1 DAY LATER (40% water change)
    Ammonia = 1-2 ppm
    Nitrite = 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate = 40 - 80 ppm

At this point my electric blue cichlid died :( and I took one other cichlid back to the store

1 DAY LATER (25% water change)
    Ammonia = 4 ppm
    Nitrite = 0 - 0.125 ppm
    Nitrate = 40 ppm

1 DAY LATER (today - 25% water change)
    Ammonia = 2 - 4 ppm
    Nitrite = 0 ppm
    Nitrate = 40 ppm

I am so confused at this point... wasn't my tank cycled? And why did I not see an Ammonia spike a week after I added 6 cichlids? Did it have to do with me rinsing the filter media? Did I really kill of THAT many beneficial bacteria? Also I'm assuming my electric blue died due to high Nitrite levels, but why then did he not get better after I did several large water changes?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Also my tap water is fine, I do not use any form of chemical filtration (no carbon or anything like that) and I've been using Prime water conditioner as well as API Stress Zyme during each water change.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Seems to me you gave enough time for the bio-filter capacity to die down from a large bio-load to a smaller one with just the two fish. Then added more fish and now the bio-filter has to catch up to the new load. Keep doing water changes and keep the ammonia and nitrite around or below .25ppm and wait it out. Also, those nitrates need to be lowered to 20ppm or less, if they are still 40ppm I suggest at least another 50% water change, and a larger water change would be better.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Don't those large water changes shock the fish? With the electric blue in particular, he really went downhill after the first 50% water change. Then he died minutes after the second one. That's why I stepped back to 25% changes every day.

Awards Showcase

Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl 
    Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz 
    Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass 
    Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    Have you checked the GH, KH, and pH of your tank and tap water. A large difference especially in gh/kh can shock the fish, but I have never heard or experienced a death because of clean water. He may have been already to weakened from the stress of the nitrites and nitrates and the water change was just coincidence.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea I've checked them before. In general they are nearly identical. I live in Texas where the water is very hard, and the pH is a solid 7.5

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, gotta love our liquid rock. If that's the case, my guess would be, he was already stressed and weakened from the high ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Someone else may come along with a better suggestion though.

0 Not allowed!
    What exactly did you rinse and what did you rinse it with? I'm assuming treated tap water or aquarium water? I don't like HOB filters as much since they don't have a lot of room to throw in a lot of media unless it's an AquaClear.... Do you have a lot of bio media in those penguins or just the carbon cartridge?

If outgoing water is the same parameter as the incoming water, even if you do 100% water change, the fishes will be fine. A week of poisoning would do him in.... he was probably holding on by the thread and was going to die sooner or later.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.