· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default FOWLR ideas noob help

0 Not allowed!
    Aloha AC! I am returning to your wealth of knowledge!

I was a member under a different name > 7 years ago. I began with FW planted --> African Cichlid --> into Nano Reef. I currently have an extremely modified aquapod 24 with a kessel 150 that I have had for over 6 years. I'm done with the nano so gonna give my coral and critters to a friend. I want to back-peddle a bit and setup a FOWLR. I was thinking something like a 40 breeder but I am open to suggestion. I want the AC think tank...no pun intended...to help me with suggestions of livestock for a 40g breeder, sump size, appropriate livestock, good skimmers, suggestions for powerheads,...etc..etc. I even dabble in herps...color morph beardies, crested gecko morphs in planted vivariums so my plate is full. Not to mention a very very naughty Himalayan Kitten. Any suggestions or help is very welcome. I have the bug again...but I want to start something new. I want to focus on the fish instead of being a slave to my corals...a change of pace is gonna be nice.

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on how much rock you plan to use and what type of lighting you have, maybe a BTA and a pair of Cinnamon Clownfish ? All the other really interesting fish I would suggest for a FLOWR set-up would need a larger tank.

I would suggest the largest size of sump that you can get and fit all the equipment in. For powerheads, I would suggest at least two Tunze 625s and I would suggest a bubble magnis in sump skimmer (the wave 7 model should be good)
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Just as a alternative to the above, what about a mantis shrimp tank with a yellow tail damsel ?

If you keep the mantis shrimp well fed, he should leave the damsel alone. But I'm pretty sure once the damsel gets bigger, it should be able to hold it's own. I have another person with a mantis tank like that and I thought it was a very nice set-up
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting Cliff thanks for the replies. Any ideas on a middle ground tank size between 40g and 120g that has a nice footprint and maybe a more liberal stocking option? I realize the 40 breeder is kind of limited. The mantis tank seems interesting...as long as he/she behaves.
    "Put your good where it will do the most" --Ken Kesey

0 Not allowed!
    From what I have read from reliable sources, Mantis shrimp typically behave very nicely when they are well fed. I know you can find a lot of people "talking" about them breaking the glass of a tank, but I have yet to find a actual example of it happening. But having said that, I also do not have any first hand experience with them either. I still want to set-up a mantis tank someday as I think they are very interesting inverts that also have a personality.

I would suggest either a 4 foot long 90 gallon tank (48 X 18 X 24) or a 4 foot long 120 gallon tank (48 X 24 X 24). Both will give you a lot more options for a FOWLR set-up. I have a 120 gallon FOWLR set-up with two lion fish and a majestic angle, and that has to be one of my favorite set-ups that I have had in a very long time.

0 Not allowed!
    Had my mantis for 6 months, it's about 5.5 inches. He's a smasher and I keep him in a glass tank. A 40 gallon would be plenty of space for him so I wouldn't worry about him not having enough room.

I guess it'll depend on how big the damsel is in relation to the mantis and the mantis itself. Mine will literally try to kill anything that moves....aside from corals....

I put damsels in there from time to time for his "hunt" exercise. He usually observe and look at them for several days and then strike when they least expect it. He will swim out in midwater and smash the thing in the head and drag it back into his cave. I'll hear more smashing after that.

But he's definitely the coolest invert for me. So much personality and highly intelligent.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.