· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Help with ID/general care of these cichlids please?

0 Not allowed!
    Hi all,
    As some of you will have read in a previous post, I have recently become carer of the fish department in a large pet store and don't know much about cichlids, so need a bit (a lot) of advice! We had a staff meeting this evening and I got a quick glimpse of some new fish that have arrived in, they are all cichlids of various types though I don't know what yet. I'm working tomorrow so can get the actual names then, but for now does anybody recognise these descriptions (they are all juveniles I think)

-Small deep blue ones with black stripes, quite a long body, currently around 6cm long. There are 8 of them.
    -Small grey/silver ones with 3 black spots, I think he said they were texas cichlids? About 5cm long and there are 11 of them.
    -Golden orange oval shaped ones, no other markings, about 9cm long. In with Veil-tail golden rams at the moment.
    -Fairly large (in relation to the others) deep blue ones with dark vertical stripes across the body, about 13cm long.
    -Also about 15 electric yellows, around 5cm long, and a firemouth about 6cm long.

I think he mentioned Texas and demastony?

As these are all babies, they won't get too territorial and start killing each other yet right? Please say they won't! I've put lots of rocks/caves/cover in every tank to try to give them space for each other but most of the tanks are only 50cm long.

Sorry I know this isn't a lot of info to be going on, I just know I'll need advice on these guys to do them the best possible and would like to ask for it asap haha :) Any advice at all is appreciated!

Thank you kindly in advance,
    Eika

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    what size tanks are they in?

sounds like alot of african cichlids except the texas. usually with all your species they get more aggressive and territorial the longer they are kept in said tanks and the larger they grow. lots of caves look nice, but keeping next to nothing in the tank can make them less territorial and tolerate eachother for longer. plus makes them easier to catch when you are selling them. :)
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    The small blue ones would be P. Demasoni. Since you remember demastony? They are Malawi cichlids.

I agree. that all of them besides the Texas sounds like Africans but there are too many potential matches to say what they are without pictures.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, and you're absolutely right they are demasonis according to our stock computer, wow they are stunning! :O In terms of how big the tanks are, each 'bay' is 600L and is split into 3 levels that are about 100Lx45Dx30Hcm (there is also a sump which makes it add up to 600L in total). Some of those levels are then further split into 2, leaving spaces of around 50Lx45WX30Hcm tanks. The electric yellows, demasoni, texas, and firemouths are all in these smaller spaces, whereas the golden ones and the larger blue one which I now realise is a blue zebra are both in the full 100cm tanks.

So far they've all been well behaved, I've rearranged the rocks so that rather than have lots of little caves they have one huge cave that they all shelter in. Am I right in thinking this will help them feel secure from people looking through the glass while unable to form territories, ie less likely to start fighting?

In terms of food, is there anything they can't eat? We've got a massive range of flakes, pellets, frozen food, spirulina flakes etc?

0 Not allowed!
    Demasoni tend to do best on about 80% veg and some protein, preferably fish. If I'd keep these I'd get a bag of Hikari Cichlid excel. If that's too expensive then rummage in your stock for something high in spirulina.