· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Is all of the white stuff hard and flaky ?

If it is, and any of that rock was exposed to the air when changing water, then I would guess it is dead coralline algae. That stuff typically turns white when exposed to the air repeatedly. Not big deal really as the coraline will come back once your tank stabilizes
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    See what keeping saltwater tanks do to you.

You pay attention to every little thing.
    You get excited looked at tiny little things in the tank.
    You're happy looking at rocks in the tank and all the things that magically show up on it.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So according to my tests:

Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 5.0
    ammonia: thinking .5
    and ph is a little above 8.
    Last edited by souly; 09-17-2013 at 08:20 PM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I figured I would post the pictures of my test for a second opinion. 20130917_131749.jpg20130917_131821.jpg20130917_131842.jpg20130917_131848.jpg20130917_131836.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    Looks about right, keep it up, your tank is cycling fine.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So when my tank is cycled should I start with corals first or with fish?

My lfs has some clowns that have been paired up since birth so I was thinking of getting those once the tank was cycled.

I've also noticed that my lfs Doesn't seem to have most of their corals listed. Most of ones at the stores that are listed are the really expensive ones.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just another update:

Did a test today and it looks like my

Ammonia is 0 ppm
    nitrites are 0 ppm
    and my nitrates are between 5 and 10 mm.

0 Not allowed!
    After your parameters are stable for a week or two, I would suggest starting out with one or two hardy fish. Depending on the type of clown fish you are talking about, you might want to start with those. Once you start seeing algae growing, start adding your CUC.

I would suggest adding the corals last, just to make things easier. The more mature your tank is when adding corals, the easier it will be to keep them happy
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When would you suggest I add the cope pods to the tank? After I get nitrates knocked down completely? Also looking at cuc would a fire shrimp be okay for that while having a green mandarin?

0 Not allowed!
    Add your pods once the tank stabilizes

I would not suggest a mandarin for such a small tank. I know many people claim to have long term success keeping mandarins in small tanks through continually dosing with pods, but it would be hard to provide him/her with a lot of hiding spots which they really do need (along with other fish and some inverts like your planned shrimp). Just my preference tho.

I'm not to sure I would include a fire shrimp as a part of your CUC as it will only clean up uneaten food in the tank and typically not any types of algae. There are many snails better suited as CUC for your set-up

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast