Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hockeyhead's all in one (AIO) 20 Gallon Long

0 Not allowed!
    All right here we go I'm gonna take the plung... again lol

Game plan:

20 gallon long reef tank

Stocking:
    1 O. Clown
    Assorted small gobies (haven't made the final decision yet)

Corals:
    Softies (zoa dominated cuz they're awesome)
    Frogspawn
    Maybe a couple LPS haven't decided yet
    Maybe a duncan colony... again haven't decided yet

LR: Well in my case it's dead rock lol... still trying to decide what I wanna do in this situation. I have a TON of rock from my old 55 so the good news is I'll have plenty of pieces to pick from however at the same time I'll have to wait for them to leech out all the gunk they got when my 55 crashed. As well I'll have to figure out how I want to seed them. This process will most likely dominate the early life of this project. I'm completely open to suggestions.

Lighting: DIY LED kit from Phoenix Lighting (will be a kit I create in the basket using theirs as a guideline to what I need/should have)
    - Lighting options haven't been completely decided upon yet, in terms of how many of what color
    - Moon lights will be included... cuz they're awesome haha
    - Gonna take my time with this so it looks and functions exactly how I want it to lol learned my lesson last time and wasn't happy

AIO Kit: Would really like to grab one from badfishreefsupplies.com but they're getting terrible reviews on delivery time, up to 8 weeks some people complain! Which is a real bummer since it's quite the set up. Would be great to have that kind of skill to crank out a product like that. If anybody knows of another AIO kit please link me.

Flow: Maxijet 900 for the AIO return set up as well as some other power head which hasn't been decided yet but that's a minor detail

Temp control: 75 watt heater (since i think that's the biggest size that'll fit in the 20 gal) haven't decided if I'll break my controller out and use that for control of the heater and to monitor salinity or not. Probably will though just because I don't trust those heaters at all

High tech side: Nothing too crazy, mostly a monitoring system for the temp and pH. Might work in lighting control of the LEDs but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Undecided on the ATO system since that ended up being a real problem last time due to a lack of a drain pipe the sump kept filling and overflowing the DT... however I don't see how that could be a problem in an AIO tank. However I'm wary none the less.

I'm completely open to suggestions and or lessons learned by others. I have quite the bit of uhhhh "experience" from my 55 reef which ended in a disaster but was probably doomed from the start looking back lol I plan on doing this tank correctly an not cutting any corners but still having fun with some DIY stuff

This is going to be slow moving so bare with me lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

20g Long --> currently concoting a build plan

Check out the journal to follow my 20g SW tank

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

2. Default

1 Not allowed!
    hey now that sounds like a plan to me . good luck and keep us posted of progress.
    ask ?'s and change some water pair of JD's and loving it.

0 Not allowed!
    You can cycle your dry rock, very close to how you would fishless cycle a FW tank, but you do run the risk of nitrates soaking into the rocks if your not very carefully watching the levels and changing water when needed. Your best bet would be to get a nice 4 or 5 lbs pc of live rock to cycle the whole tank. If you did that, combined with some type of good quality bacteria additive, you should be able to cycle the tank pretty quick with minimal risk of a nitrate spike and be able to slowly start adding fish as soon as the levels are stable
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

This is the closest I could find to a vampire, LMAO - Cliff Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb 
    sorry about your angelfish - smaug Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R 
    I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue 

0 Not allowed!
    If you're taking your time, why does it matter if the AIO kit is slow getting to you? 8 weeks is prolly the absolute longest it will take to get there, and you'll likely get it a bit sooner...and then you'd have what you want...

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, just pick out a nice piece of LR and let it seed the rest of your old rocks. Are we going with sand or BB?

Hmmmm, just a thought instead of the AIO. Paint the back black, get an Aquaclear HOB and DIY it into a fuge/sump and set it up on the back.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spardas View Post
    Hmmmm, just a thought instead of the AIO. Paint the back black, get an Aquaclear HOB and DIY it into a fuge/sump and set it up on the back.
    This was actually one of the options I was kicking around. And I'll be going with sand on the bottom and the piece of LR seemed like the most reasonable/efficient thing to do

And @sheamurai I think I'm just nervous about never getting the thing lol people have been complaining a lot and the word is he's having some family issues so I'm thinking he has quite the backlog lol... still might end up doing it cuz he makes some really quality stuff

@Cliff any suggestions for some bacteria additive? Or anybody for that matter? Just to help give a little jump start to the tank?

I'm thinking I might get a piece of LR to seed and then remove that since I seem to recall having some really nice pieces from my 55, really pourus cool looking stuff IMO haha regardless I'm excited to get started but really don't wanna jump the gun, both for financial reasons and because I just wanna have an overall good (attempt at great) setup lol
    55g Long --> After 18mo of doing well the tank crashed during moving. Most likely cause: Flatworm Die-off... won't start another until after moving... Likely not until late 2013

"Take a chance, because you never know how perfect some things can turn out" -- unknown

0 Not allowed!
    Double post lol

Here's what's in the cart so far:
    Salifert Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite testing kits (each has enough for 60 tests)
    VisiTherm 75W heater
    EcoMarine MP10 ES (Super excited about this one haha)
    MaxiJet 900 (for return pump)
    AquaticLife 3 stage RO unit (I know it isn't the best but it'll be better than tap)
    Phoenix DIY lighting kit (interested to see how this results both asthetically and performance wise)

Already ownDigital Aquatics Controller (which will mainly be used for heater control)
    - Might be used for other functions but not sure

To Be Decided:Lighting control, simple on off for all of the channels via controller (might be starting poing) but I'd rather have the ability to control the intensity curve as the day goes on... just cuz that's way cooler haha
    Stocking
    - Would love a pair of O. Clowns but don't think the tank will have enough room... plus if I get clowns I'll want a nem haha which would be bad news in a tank this small from everything I've read
    - Most likely will go with an assortment of gobies and maybe a bangaii cardinal or two? lol (would love to have a mated pair be the focus of the tank)
    -Obviously corals!! Mostly zoa type with a frogspawn and some waving hands as well... not sure what else yet
    -Really liked my emerald crab who never really caused any trouble so might grab one of them as well

For now I think I'll be buying the things in the cart slowly as the cash becomes available, obviously waiting for the mp10 and the lighting until the tank is ready to rock (no pun intended) targeted up and running date is Jan 2014 (not in a rush here haha)

Also I believe I'll finally be moving out of the parents house and to my own place (about time! haha) just after the new year so I don't want the tank to be overly fragile to a move so it may get delayed some depending on my moving situation

0 Not allowed!
    Still in the planning stage so nothing to get over excited about, but I'm leaning away from the AIO concept since that kit isn't delivering anymore and I haven't found a suitable replacement.

Instead I'm looking at gutting a big HOB filter and maybe throwing some filter floss and possibly a media bag depending, but that might be all the filtration I'm looking for lol

Got the tank all cleaned up this weekend so that was a step in the right direction at least lol it had all kinds of gunk stuck to it so that was fun to try and get all that off the glass lol

0 Not allowed!
    car issues have put this plan on hault, transmission issues have drained the ol bank account for the time being. However I miss my clown fish haha so might start it as a low tech tank and grow it out with various upgrades as time goes on haha we shall see

1 Not allowed!
    And here we are on post #10 of a tank journal with no pics

JK.....

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the car.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]