· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 40gb First Reef

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7 Figured you needed a little one to go with all those big guys - fishmommie 

Default 40gb First Reef

2 Not allowed!
    Ok guys, I have done many tanks in the past, some salt as in my sig and those were either inherited or already running when I took them in. I now am going to go from scratch to set up my own personal reef.

Today I purchased the following:

The light, is a MarsAqua Dimmable 165w LED light found on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MarsAqua-Dim...item5658ce27ed

A Korelia powerhead - 40

40.2lbs of baserock - 80

40lb bag of black livesand. - 20

The 40gallon tank at petco - 40

Currently in this for 260 and havent put a drop in the tank lol. So whomever says salt water is cheap to get into... no... But I am trying to do this right and have it be worth it long term. I am going to fishless cycle with pure ammonia. The store said I should be doing it with a shrimp but we all know better.

Question - considering I will be doing a 100% water change after the change over - can I do my fishless cycle with just tap water?
    Last edited by Sandz; 07-23-2015 at 08:44 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    I have no idea, but I'm subscribed!
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal
    40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal
    29 Gallon: ... Journal

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly Merry Christmas - steeler58 Here's to the holidays! - Slaphppy7 
    Happy holidays! - rebecca_finny Merry Christmas (Santa Loves Pie) ;-) - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Good to see you here again... - Slaphppy7 Figured you needed a little one to go with all those big guys - fishmommie 

2 Not allowed!
    Thanks buddy- this is where I yell for CLIFF!!!!

1 Not allowed!
    LOL

Do you know the GK and KH, or the TDS and pH, of your tap water ? If your tap has no nitrates, phosphates, ammonia along with close to nuteral pH as well as low TDS, you certainly could use tap to cycle the tank. Just keep in mind, you manage the ammonia levels differently in marine as compared to salt water

Just be careful using live sand. A lot of the time it will release ammonia and nitrate into the water over time with very questionable levels of BB in there. I tried live sand a few times, never will use it again unless it is throughly wash in tap water and dried out before use.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    40 breeder is a nice tank, I love mine...

I would say that you should have more than one powerhead, I have three in mine...

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    LOL

Do you know the GK and KH, or the TDS and pH, of your tap water ? If your tap has no nitrates, phosphates, ammonia along with close to nuteral pH as well as low TDS, you certainly could use tap to cycle the tank. Just keep in mind, you manage the ammonia levels differently in marine as compared to salt water

Just be careful using live sand. A lot of the time it will release ammonia and nitrate into the water over time with very questionable levels of BB in there. I tried live sand a few times, never will use it again unless it is throughly wash in tap water and dried out before use.
    Ok - here is the update. I did my tests and my phosphates and all that are still readable and im not happy with the idea of using the tap water because im not using live rock. I am going to be using pourus rock that will absorb it and leech... I will have an updated photo. Im doing a fishless cycle right now on the tank though. Cliff - you can still do that right?

Awards Showcase

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SomethingIsFishy View Post
    40 breeder is a nice tank, I love mine...

I would say that you should have more than one power-head, I have three in mine...
    Ill end up with 2-3 but cycling I don't need that. I still am budget conscious.

2 Not allowed!
    I'm interested in this build a lot. SW was originally my plan, so it is gonna be cool following this thread.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwfish13 View Post
    I'm interested in this build a lot. SW was originally my plan, so it is gonna be cool following this thread.
    Welcome to the wild ride lol.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    So here is a conundrum... The RO Buddy is a cheap ro system that does 50gpd which will easily be ok for me to keep up with the demands of my tank. Link = http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-R...ords=ro+buddie / However it is not a DI and the Di chamber comes seperate. I can get the whole thing for 75 free shipping. Is the DI really that needed on this or is the ro ok as its own. I am not an expert on RODI water. I just personally used it when breeding appistos in oregon for a short time and its only because someone gave me the thing to use... Never really did a ton of research on it.