· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my tank

1. Default my tank

0 Not allowed!
    my new 7 neon tetras love their new tank but they are very small and don't really school that much and other bigger tetras for a 20 gallon and they be ok with some 2 dwarf gourami and 4 cory catfish
    Last edited by mikemike; 08-27-2013 at 11:22 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Not many freshwater fish "school" in the sense of marine fish that remain in close groups as they swim. Fish species that need a group can be termed shoaling. The fish are less secure without the group, and the more the better. But few of these swim together, but they like to remain close to each other. The Rummynose tetra is one that does, and some of the rasbora species do also. Personally, I do not consider a 20g sufficient space for rummynose, as this species likes to swim distances and is better in a longer tank. But many of the rasbora species would suit your 20g.

Corys also shoal and I would get no less than five of one species. If you want two species, you could have five of each in a 20g, or maybe 3-4 of each of two species.

The dwarf gourami is a problem fish. One has to be careful with their health (the virus that afflicts many of them), plus they can be targets for nipping by many tetra, including neons.

Some other suitable tetra to go with the neons and corys could be Black Phantom Tetra, Rosy Tetra, Lemon Tetra to name three.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    So what is your question exactly mikemike? Once the neons get used to the tank they will probably close ranks and swim more together. Do you have cover in the tank like plants and driftwood or is it wide open? Neons like something to swim around, under or through.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!! - fishmommie Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Merry Christmas to you and the fam. - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Strider, you might also try a bigger school like 12 as they realy like big groups.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was asking if I could add one more shoal of tetras like serpae (5-6) . I am all ready going to get 2 more cory catfish and I know about the problem with dwarf gourami they where the only fish that stand out with their bright colors. It was out dwarf or flame at the pet store so I picked dwarf. Does flame have the same problems ?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    I was asking if I could add one more shoal of tetras like serpae (5-6) . I am all ready going to get 2 more cory catfish and I know about the problem with dwarf gourami they where the only fish that stand out with their bright colors. It was out dwarf or flame at the pet store so I picked dwarf. Does flame have the same problems ?
    Serpae Tetra (Hyphessobrycon eques) is not a good choice here. They tend to be a bit nippy, and need a larger group of 8-12 in a 30g tank to be properly housed.

The so-called "Flame" gourami is a colour variant of the dwarf, so same possible issues. Also, you really have to be careful with gourami in smaller tanks with tetra as the tetra may decide to nip the gourami. Even otherwise peaceful fish can be tempted in small (to the fish) spaces when fish like gourami are present.

As I initially indicated, you have space for another group of a peaceful shoaling fish, and I named a few possibles. Serpae is just not one of them. The Rosy Tetra I mentioned is very similar in appearance, if you were looking for a reddish/purplish fish.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb TGIF - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    thanks and Merry Christmas to you too!! - fishmommie Merry Xmas To You! - Sandz Merry Christmas to you and the fam. - Taurus Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 TGIT (Thank God it is Thursday) - afro123 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

1 Not allowed!
    + 1 to Byron's suggestion of Rosy Tetras, if want a colorful,active, and gentle species.

Another alternative would be the Red phantom tetra, all the color of the serpae without their bad disposition.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    the tetras do not mess with the gourami at all they hardly go by it. Oh and I guess I will and some black phantom but the looks like the black skirt tetras(will 5 or 6 black shirts or phantoms work) and lemon tetras love their color but they remind me of red eye tetras(will 5 or 6 red or lemon work) but I will get one of the four . Can I get the phantoms and lemon tetras from some where like petco or petsmart ?( I will get them a 2 weeks form now)
    Last edited by mikemike; 08-29-2013 at 08:29 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike View Post
    the tetras do not mess with the gourami at all they hardly go by it. Oh and I guess I will and some black phantom but the looks like the black skirt tetras(will 5 or 6 black shirts or phantoms work) and lemon tetras love their color but they remind me of red eye tetras(will 5 or 6 red or lemon work) but I will get one of the four . Can I get the phantoms and lemon tetras from some where like petco or petsmart ?( I will get them a 2 weeks form now)
    I really do not recommend Black Skirts in this tank. For one thing, the tank is not large enough; this species is a fairly substantial tetra, and will easily reach 6cm (2.5 inches). It needs a decent group of 8 preferably. Otherwise, it may well decide to start nipping fins.

And Gourami should never be housed with species that "may" nip, because the temptation is too great.

As for the present situation, understand that this is now, not tomorrow, or next week, or next month. As fish settle into a new environment, it affects them. Their natural behaviours will likely emerge, sooner or later. Creating a risk environment is not good for the fish. Even if no physical interaction occurs, the fish are sending out and reading chemical signals; pheromones are read by the species itself, and allomones by other species. These too are stressful. It's like having a bully next to you that may not be acting it out, but you know it's there and it is stressful.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    What to do then Byron ?