· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Swordfish deaths

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. We have kept various tropicals (mostly successfully) for years but eventually downsized to a small tank with Swordtails and a Plec. The Swordtails bred pretty regularly so we recently doubled the tank size. We used virtually all the water from the smaller tank so the dilution was 50:50 maximim. We added 6 Neon, 2 Kuhli Loaches and a small Angel about 8 days ago. Two weeks after setting up the new tank all fish seemingly OK until 48 hours ago when Swordtails started dying. No other fish affected. We feed a dried flake plus Peas,Courgette and Cucumber.
    The dead fish have no visible signs of disease, but simply appear lethargic for about 12 hours then die.
    Has anyone any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry, title should be Swordtail NOT Swordfish!

0 Not allowed!
    What are you water values (Nitrite,Nitrate, ammonium)

Do you know pH and if the water is hard or soft in your area?
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The water is slightly acidic and probably hard. It comes from a spring. We assume that water quality would affect ALL the fish not just the Swordtails. We have not significantly changed the water in 2 weeks.

0 Not allowed!
    You can not assume that water quality would affect all fishes in the same way. Different species will get affected differently by poor water quality depending on how well the tank suits them. Swordtails prefer slightly alkaline water and if the water is acidic they can be more sensetive than the other species. All other species like acidic water. I would test the water.

Aggression from the angeö could also be a problem but should not be it considering that you say it is small.

0 Not allowed!
    1st of all, it's not the tank water that contains the bacteria you need - it's primarily in the filter media. If you are using a new filter with new media, you no longer have a cycled tank. If I were you, I would be checking your water parameters for ammonia.

Yes, water quality generally affects all fish, but some fish stress out more easily than others.

It's very probable that you are now cycling a new tank with fish in it which can stress out fish and lead to illness.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. I take the point about the filter. Regarding the water, the Swords have been in the same water, ie from the same source, for nearly 2 years and have bred fairly well so it seems fair to assume that it suits them regardless of PH, hardness etc.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by imma24 View Post
    1st of all, it's not the tank water that contains the bacteria you need - it's primarily in the filter media. If you are using a new filter with new media.
    Good catch. I cant believe I didnt noticed that it didnt mention moving the filter.

Imma24 is 24 right. If you just moved water and not the sant, decorations and filter than most of your bacteria will be gone. There are some bacteria in the water, enough to speed up the cycling. But the bacteria will need time to repopulate the sand and filter.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by welshsword View Post
    Thanks. I take the point about the filter. Regarding the water, the Swords have been in the same water, ie from the same source, for nearly 2 years and have bred fairly well so it seems fair to assume that it suits them regardless of PH, hardness etc.
    That would be correct! We are concerned about pH when introducing new fish into a tank that might have come from a very different pH or if we want fish that will do better in a certain pH range that our local water doesn't provide.

After 2 yrs, yes the fish have adjusted LOL
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks. If it was an issue with the filter then why would it take nearly 2 weeks to have an effect?