· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Plants for 10 gallon aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    Hello,

I have a 10 gallon aquarium stocked with harlequin rasboras. The tank has some fake plants that I want to replace with real plants since I have read that the rasboras prefer this. Can someone suggest easy to maintain live plants that I can use to replace the fake stuff. I would like plants that will not need much light and that will allow me to move them around to make cleaning the tank and gravel subtrate easy. Any suggestions would be appreciated... along with a quick step by step on how to introduce the plants. Thanks!

If it matters, the tank has a florescent light that has a blue filter. The light comes on about six hours in the evenings. The rest of the time the tank is in an area that does not receive direct sunlight.

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    You can go with plants such as Java fern, Java moss, many Cryptocoryne species, Vallisneria species, Watersprite, Hornwort, etc.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    10 Gallon Planted: 1x Apistogramma trifasciata, 8x Nannostomus marginatus
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi, 3x Otocinclus vittatus

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

0 Not allowed!
    But even those don't take kindly to being moved around

0 Not allowed!
    Agree, and the light mentioned may be trouble. On the light first, what is the "blue filter?" Assuming this is a T8 [the "regular"] fluorescent fixture, I would replace the tube with one that is in the range of 6500K (K = Kelvin, the colour temperature of light). This will satisfy any plants in a 10g. My favourite tube for single-tube planted tanks is the Life-Glo, but the ZooMed UltraSun is much the same and a bit less expensive. The LG has 6700K, the US has 6500K. Make sure it is one of these, as both manufacturers make different tubes and some are not the best. These two provide adequate spectrum, and give a natural rendition of colour. The so-called "plant" or "aqua" type tubes are not worth it on more than one score.

To the plants. Nothing can be simpler than floating, and with rasbora this is almost essential. Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta) is ideal, and native to their habitat. You could do a nice authentic aquascape with just the floating plants, and have chunks of wood and branches below, with a play sand substrate. Or, low light plants like Java Fern and Java Moss on the chunks of wood; these plants attach to wood, and are not planted in the substrate, which means you could move them around if needed.

You might need a liquid fertilizer, one that is complete like Flourish Comprehensive Supplement. A small bottle will last months, as you only dose about 1/2 a teaspoon once a week in a 10g.

Byron.

0 Not allowed!
    However, in a pinch anything between 5000 and 7000k will do just fine. A blue light or anything above 10000k is not a good idea for fresh water, tends to promote algae growth

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I should explain... I have a glass lid on the aquarium. On top of that sits a small hood with a fluorescent 15W T-8 18" Aqueon light. Because I had read that the Rasboras don't like bright light I rigged up a very low tech "filter". It is a Handy Wipe on the glass under the light which is porous and has a blue / white color pattern. It dims the light and gives the tank a nice blue glow. It actually looks pretty good.

If you are saying this is not good for the tank, I can easily remove it and go with the direct fluorescent light. The Rasboras hide when it is on. Nevertheless, with live plants if the direct light is better then that's that.

I am looking at Anubias grown on rocks that they have at my LFS. They seem to fit the bill. The plant is hardy, and can be trimmed when it gets too big. Since it is on the rock it can be moved during cleaning.

0 Not allowed!
    Get some floating plants maybe?

0 Not allowed!
    I would remove the "light filter". The tube mentioned, Aqueon, is very low intensity, and casts a purplish hue because it is primarily red and blue. Your Anubias will probably manage, but little else will. Floating plants should be OK though, since they are near the light. But I would still recommend one of the two tubes I mentioned previously. I did an experiment with T8 tubes over my 29g tank over the course of several months and was able to substantiate what I suspected regarding intensity. There is a vast difference, which comes down to how they are made (the phosphors inside the tube).

Byron.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advise. The Anubia care guide states that moderate light will do, so I hope the Aqueon bulb will suffice for now. As soon as it goes I will look for the bulb you suggested. The care guide says it might need some fertilizer too, but some posts I have read from people who have this plant state that they never use fertilizer and the plants are doing fine.

Since you seem to know your way around a planted aquarium can you tell me if the nitrates in the water are enough for the plant to flourish, or will it need fertilizer?

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nik View Post
    Thanks for the advise. The Anubia care guide states that moderate light will do, so I hope the Aqueon bulb will suffice for now. As soon as it goes I will look for the bulb you suggested. The care guide says it might need some fertilizer too, but some posts I have read from people who have this plant state that they never use fertilizer and the plants are doing fine.

Since you seem to know your way around a planted aquarium can you tell me if the nitrates in the water are enough for the plant to flourish, or will it need fertilizer?
    Depends. First, plants can get all the nutrients (there are 17) they require from fish food and water changes. The fish food ends up as organic waste in the substrate where bacteria break it down into nutrients the plants can take up. Anubias being a slow growing plant uses less nutrients than fast growing plants would. If the Anubias is all you have in the way of live plants, it may be fine. If you decide on some floating plants, I would definitely get a comprehensive liquid fertilizer. This has everything plants need and in the required proportions. I use Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, and there is Brightwell Aquatics' FlorinMulti which is much the same. With either, you use very little, but they ensure everything is present.

As for nitrates, this is a catch 22. First, plants prefer nitrogen in the form of ammonium (ammonia), not nitrate, so they grab the ammonia/ammonium as it is released by fish in respiration and by the breakdown of organics. With the Anubias, this is certainly going to be sufficient.

Second thing about nitrate is that all fish are bothered by nitrates. I won't get into the discussion about levels and time, but the lower the nitrates the better for the fish, always. If by nitrates you were only thinking of those occurring naturally from the nitrification cycle, and assuming they are below 10ppm, that's fine. Nitrates in the tap water is another issue though, as are nitrates above 10ppm.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-28-2013 at 12:58 AM.