· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Sick/Injured Cory cat?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys, I just noticed that Paul, the smallest of my albino bronze corys (and smallest of the 4 I have overall) has a weird red spot on his/her belly and I don't know what it is. It's kinda got me freaked out because last time I saw this on a cory (on a tail) I lost two of them almost immediately (read; within 2 hours and a night.) This is in a different spot, and looks a bit different from that as well... but... what do I do? I can't exactly quarantine Paul because the quarantine tank is full of new fish getting ready to move in and I'm not allowed to get any more tanks until December... Please help.

Pictures from both sides

20130826_155402.jpg20130826_155421.jpg
    1 Tank: 15 gal;???

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

Q-Tank; 1 Molly, 2 Bronze Corys.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Water readings:
    pH: 7.4
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrite: 0 ppm
    Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

2 Tank: 40 gal; fish: 2 Bronze Corys. 4 Mollies. 1 Albino Rainbow Shark. 1 Guppies. 2 snails. ? cherry barbs. 1 Betta Male, 2 Otos.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well... Paul died in the night, as all my sick fish seem to do.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    :( sorry to hear he didnt make it

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry to hear. How long did you have Paul and what are yiy feeding your Corys? Thibk your substrate can give problems as well (food and dirt will get in it). I think it's a bacterial problem of some sort, getting a chance because Paul (and others) were weakend. Cheers Aad
    No Cory, No Glory !!

Awards Showcase

pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie welcome back from vacation - showmebutterfly Congrats on 10,000 brother! - KevinVA Have another for reaching 10,000 posts!! - steeler58 Here's to the next 10,000 posts. - Compass 
    To the 10 grand man! Congrats. - Taurus 10,000 posts is worth a monetary donation - well almost :o) congrats - fishmommie For wanting to try something new! - steeler58 Have a cup pn me for some great conversation this morning :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F. back at you buddy! - steeler58 
    BEER!!! - Compass Here's to 11,000.....woe!! - steeler58 T.G.I.F^2 - Taurus for playing the cory game - cm12setx Cheers! - nickellmama27 
    6000 posts! You'll have to take that thread to a publisher! - Compass Have another beer for another milestone ;) - steeler58 6000 -- wow - RiversGirl Heres to Bacon Beer :-) - Taurus good job on the yappin! Thanks! - SeaLady 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry for your loss
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

0 Not allowed!
    When I saw this thread yesterday, I was hoping a member or two would be able to tell us what this is, and any possible cure. I have very little experience or knowledge of disease issues, and when I have seen what is pictured here, the fish never survived long, and the last time I saw this I just netted the fish and destroyed it rather than have it continue possibly suffering. There is also the risk that something like this might spread if it is a pathogen.

I would think this is something internal, judging from the deep red that seems to be into the fish. Careless netting of the fish in the store can cause this. But there may be internal causes too, that are similar-looking.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Happy New Year - jeffs99dime Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 just because. - 1Sarah Happy Drink Like a Viking Friday! - KevinVA Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 
    My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

0 Not allowed!
    Sorry you lost Paul. Bummer.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Longfin Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - Amano Shrimp, Black Neon Tetras

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I put bottom feeder tabs and pellets in twice a week (it's a community tank so most of the time I let them have leftovers from everyone else) and algae tabs 3-4 times a week (an average of 2 bottom feeder per time and 4 algae tabs per time, and yes, everything is eaten within 2 hours). I fast the day before I clean and I check my fish then for issues and didn't notice any.

I've had Paul and George for... oh... I'd say about 6 weeks. John and Ringo (my other cory cats) I've had for closer to 2.5 or 3 months and I just got a new one (I was supposed to get 2 more so I would have 3 colored and 3 albino, but they kept dying on me so I'm gonna assume a bad batch and be happy with my one healthy one to replace Paul). I did lose 2 of my first four cory cats (the same group Ringo and John are from) to fin rot after I'd had them for a month, but I know why they got it and why it killed them and it was totally my fault and I learned from it.

As for my substrate... I have a rather heavily planted tank (there are only a few spots where if you look straight down you see gravel, everything else is plants and deco) so I use a substrate made for plants, but I mixed it with smooth substrate and decently sized aquarium stones so the cory cats would have "soft" spots to lie down. Once PetsMart gets it in again I'm thinking of getting Java Moss as well to give them a "bed" of sorts if they want... and if they don't it will at least give my other fish stuff to play with.

I still wanna know what happened to Paul and how to fix it, in case it happens again.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Think this is the problem : A : They need to be fed more than that and with their own food (they will eat the leftovers besides that) B : these fish are 95% carnivores. So only fed with algaetablets they really get healthproblems. Bottomline : they get too less food and what they get don't provides them with the right minerals, vitamins and proteins. Get real Corypellets, give (defrosted) live food, aso. Now and then an algaepellet won't harm them.
    No Cory, No Glory !!