· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Feeding schedules...whats yours?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello folks,

Just out of curiosity I thought I would see what others peoples feeding schedules for their tanks are. Everyone does it slightly different it seems..

Do you feed once a day? Twice? Do you feed at the same time of day? Do you leave a fast day/s? Do you mix up flakes/pellets/wafers/frozen and live?

It will be interesting to see how everyone differs...I know for sure I dont think my fish eat enough yet they all look healthy and trail poo often enough for me to know different! I get obsessed with trying to make sure every fish has eaten something and for a long time I would feed multiple types of food (over the course of a single day!)to make sure I had everyone covered, luckily I never had water issues from doing this but its not a good way to feed your fish im sure!

Look forward to hearing everyones own views on this :)

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

3 Not allowed!
    Well I normally do once a day. For my 10 gallon (which has Dwarf Pencilfish, Apistos, and Otos) I feed crushed up flake food and crushed up cichlid pellet food once a day. In my 20 gallon (Which has a Blue Gourami, a Molly, and Platies) I feed crushed up flakes once a day. Sometimes I'll skip a day, I usually don't feed them on water change day or on days when I won't be home for their feeding time.

My fish are used to a schedule and are fed around 2-4pm. Around that time my Pencils and Apistos are all up at the front, right corner waiting for me to drop food in. Everyone has different schedules but feeding once a day is what I like to do. It encourages my fish to graze and pick food out of the tank. I've seen every single one of my fish, even my apistos, picking at diatoms and algae growing in their tanks. With them grazing it helps to keep the tank cleaner, helps them interact with their environment more, and helps them get a more varied diet. Its just my preferred method.

Other benefits to my once a day feeding is that it keeps pest levels low. I ordered plants a few months ago that had snail eggs and nematodes on them. Luckily for me I eradicated the snails, with help from my apistos, and the nematodes were not a parasitic variety, which means they're harmless to my fish. Keeping my feedings low means I keep the nematode populations low. Any nematodes that do live are eaten by my apistos and Pencilfish. This varies their diet even more and also gives them live prey to chase after.
    My 10 Gallon Aquarium Journal
    20 Gallon: 1x Mikrogeophagus ramirezi, 10x Nannostomus beckfordi

~Formerly known as Carapar56~

1 Not allowed!
    It really depends on the kind of setup that I'm running and if my fishes are juveniles or adults.

For grow out tanks, I can feed as much as 6-8 times a day.

I generally prefer to give my fishes smaller portion of food throughout the day than one big meal. I do mix up the variety of food given to them.
    Think with logic and rationality more than emotion. Act with moderation and consideration. Contemplate ideals and realistic goals and weigh out possibilities and options. Temper not with personal delusions or false hope but learn to accept and move on.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have definately noticed more foraging going on now I have stopped feeding them every 15 seconds lol..I like the idea of feeding at a set time, if the fish expect you to feed them it would certainly make head counts and fish checks much easier!

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

3 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batatazinha View Post
    I have definately noticed more foraging going on now I have stopped feeding them every 15 seconds lol..I like the idea of feeding at a set time, if the fish expect you to feed them it would certainly make head counts and fish checks much easier!
    That's a nice perk!! XD Another good thing about it is it helps my fish get used to my presence and want to interact with me. When I first got my pencils they'd swim and hide behind the filter everytime you got close to the tank. Now the swim right up to the glass to see me. They've associated me with something positive, food. Along with them wanting to come and see me they're all trained to eat from my fingers. Its nothing spectacular like hand feeding discus but its a cool feeling to have a pair of apistos and a school of tiny pencils poking at your fingers for food XD

0 Not allowed!
    My feeding is near identical to Gesp55. Once a day is it (except for fry), I don't feed prior to the water change but I do now feed 3-4 hours after, and this is the day they get the "treat" of frozen bloodworms and frozen daphnia. Other days it is a variety of prepared foods, flake and sinking depending upon the fish species' needs. I alternate with three types of flake/pellet and three types of sinking, and one of each is veggie based.

We must always remember that fish should be hungry [meaning, eager to eat] if they are healthy. A fish eats when it finds food, so it will normally eat any food it finds. Unlike dogs and cats that can take breaks, a fish will eat everything you give it, or usually try to, and this is not healthy.

Years ago when I was working, I fed in the morning, about an hour after the lights came on. [You should always wait at least 30 minutes after the tank light comes on before feeding or doing anything in the tank, to give the fish the time they need to adjust their eyes, otherwise you can severely stress them out.] They quickly learned that, and expected food then. In 2000 I moved to a new house, and had to commute farther to work, so I left the house long before it was daylight and the tank lights came on, so I began feeding them as soon as I returned home, around 6 pm. They quickly adjusted to this schedule, and it always interested me that on weekends when I was home, if I entered the fish room during the day they just ignored me, but around 5:30 or so, there they would be, expecting food. Same thing as Gesp noted. Fish do "learn" quickly.

Byron.
    Last edited by Byron; 08-26-2013 at 05:32 PM.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    ^^^ Its an amazing thing. I used to feed my fish in the mornings as well, around 7 am. For all my new fish they've always been used to feedings around 2-4pm. However, my Blue Gourami, who was the first fish I ever bought 7 years ago, has gone through many food schedules. After a few weeks she learns the schedule and starts getting all excited for food at the new time. Its quite amazing.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didnt know about waiting after the lights come on, thats something to bear in mind. It would be lovely if the fish didnt hide from me! The only one who doesnt is the Gourami and im not alltogether sure he is aware of anything, ever!

Its interesting to note that they can learn food schedules like other pets..I think I am going to try and feed them at similar times of the day and see if I notice a change in their behaviour after a while. Really interesting replies guys thanks :)

0 Not allowed!
    While we're on the subject of teaching our fish...here's something else.

My fish too are very skittish when I enter the room. I put this down to having a dedicated fish room, so I am only in there when I'm doing work on the tanks or feeding or sitting and observing a tank. When I do the latter, a few minutes after I settle into the chair and don't move, they all get back to normal. In my former residence, the tanks were in a space adjacent to the living room, and my movements in the room were visible to the fish, and they were much more settled.

I have 30+ corys in the largest tank, and many of these remain hidden during the day. Some species are always out and about, but others never. Many years ago I got in the habit of lightly tapping on the tank frame when I feed the fish; I use a 1/2 teaspoon from one of those kitchen measuring spoon sets to measure out the food (not to actually measure, but it is just more convenient and I can get the amount of food I want easily), and I tap the frame with this. They have quickly learned to associate this sound with food, and within a matter of seconds, all the hidden fish are coming out. This is one way to be able to see all the fish. If I remain in the chair after feeding, I am able to see all the corys, and all the loaches in two other tanks, when they are out feeding.

Byron.
    Byron Hosking, BMus, MA
    Vancouver, BC, Canada

Something we all need to remember: The fish you've acquired was quite happy not being owned by you, minding its own business. If you’re going to take it under your wing then you’re responsible for it. Every aspect of its life is under your control, from water quality and temperature to swimming space. [Nathan Hill in PFK]

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Im a dog handler in my spare time and I use sound association a lot (in a positive way not a negative!!) but I never would have thought of doing it with fish! What a novel idea!