· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Mystery Nitrites

0 Not allowed!
    As you may know from my other threes, I am in the process of a fishless cycle on a 46 gallon bow front aquarium. I am 3 weeks into my cycle and have seen no progress. About 4 days into my cycle I saw a slight drop in ammonia and 0.25 Nitrites which lasted for about 4 days then disappeared and I haven't seen any progress since. I found out that my mom thought the api quick start in my cabinet (which I have on hand for the future in case I need to set up a hospital tank quickly) would help my cycle and added the appropriate dose for my tank. This was the day before my mystery nitwits appeared. So I'm thinking this could have caused those and explains that change and why it didn't continue?
    Will this affect the rest of my cycle? It's been a little over 2 weeks since that and nothing had changed I'm my tank.

My ph stays around 7.2, temp is 82, tank it's filled with ro dosed with sea chem replenish to about 4dh (issues with my tap water)
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

29 gallon dwarf puffer tank

Scheming show tank #3....

10 gallon pond snail breeding tank

0 Not allowed!
    Yes to your question. Adding a bacterial supplement will/should establish the "bacteria" a bit faster. I've not myself used the API product, so I can't say it is or isn't reliable compared to some that I know are, but what you report makes sense to me.

But, I will not suggest anything further, as I never do this sort of cycling and I don't want to mess things up; I'll leave it for the others with experience to help you. I just use live plants which avoids all this.

Byron.

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    When fishless cycling there's not much point conditioning your tank with anything, as you have no fish in it. This allows you to rule out additives messing with your cycles progress.

Personally, I would stop dosing anything at all. You didn't mention what level of ammonia you have at the moment? Just wanted to mention (I don't think I've seen your other threads) you do have to repeat your ammonia dosing, some folks put in one dose on day one and stop...not realising they will have to repeat the dose to maintain the bacteria.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I didn't add it; my mom did. I wasn't planning on adding that to this tank, it was just there in case I need to set up the 20 gallon extra tank I have just in case I need to quarantine a fish in the future.

My ammonia was originally dosed at 4ppm, dropped to 2 at the same time the 0.25ppm nitrites showed up, and has stayed at 2 since then. I was under the impression that the only time you re-dose the ammonia is once it hits zero as there is still ammonia available for the bacteria to eat when it is at 2ppm
    46 gallon bowfront: 1 angelfish, 1 GBR, 1 albino longfin BNP, 3 sunset mickey mouse platies, 3 blue mickey mouse platies, 9 cherry barbs, 9 harlequin rasboras

Awards Showcase

Why thank-you - Cliff The grammar crab has you in its grasp! D: - Trillianne Thanks for the clarification - Mith A few clown for the fellow SW clowns. :D - ILuvMyGoldBarb sorry about your angelfish - smaug 
    Many cultures donw through the ages have known that Ice cream is the perfect band-aid for all occasions. ~  Sorry for your loss. - 850R Here's some Christmass Cheer, Happy Holidays Sheamurai - Cliff merry xmas, keep good care of him - genocidex Beer! The perfect gift for any occasion - Merry Chrismas! - 850R I'm glad your here and a active forum member - Cliff 
    penguin for a friend XD - genocidex Thanks for the help with that spammer !!! - Cliff Thank you for the kind words - Cliff Merry Christmas - Cliff To help you re-stock the tank - Cliff 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz To Discus Days!!! - JudiJetson For very clear advice! - houdini56 Happy Holidays! - Rue Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    you don't want to wait til it hits zero before re-dosing...you want to maintain 2.0 until it drops to zero aftr 24 hours.
    If you're sitting at 2, you should be good.

I know you didn't add the quick start, I was actually referring to the replenish. I used tap water for my first tankful of water to cycle my uber sensitive reef tank, if that was ok I don't think you need worry about your tap water while fishless cycling either. That's an extrapolation tho, I've never actually cycled with low dh so I don't have any experience or knowledge of it interfering with a cycle.

I just know the less you do to a tank, the less factors you have to rule out when something's not going right...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, it's been sitting at 2 steadily.
    My tap water has so much calcium in it there are literally floating pieces of build up straight out of the tap. I know my filter could handle that but I don't want to have to rinse my filter that much more often because of them getting clogged with crap from my tap. So I'm using pure RO for the whole tank, which has no minerals or any buffering capacity (hence the Replenish)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a water change help my cycle at all? Or do I just need to learn waaayyy more patience? Part of the reason I chose fishless was it was supposed to be fast (I was told around 2 weeks but now know that was wrong) and my mom is getting on my case about the empty tank running using power with no fish. So I'm trying to figure putt how to get the cycle to work (still don't understand how nothing has happened since I added a ton of used filter floss over a week ago from my lfs)

0 Not allowed!
    Be patient, it will happen if you stick to the process. At this point, a waterchange would more than likely slow things down even more. I have fishless cycles take me around 5 weeks before. Every tank seams to be a little different that way

Most people change filter floss once every week or two. If the LFS was doing that, there likely was very little bacteria grown on the floss.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The one I go to said they don't change it. Is it normal not to see any drop in ammonia at all after adding a bacteria source?

0 Not allowed!
    The bottle additives can be hit and miss. If they actually help or not is a topic that can be debated. IMO, I do not like using them as they seam like a waste of money to me.

I would suggest letting mother nature take her course and grow your beneficial bacteria, That has always worked best for me
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]